Rarity affects value for collectible?

75

Asked by Apr 11, 2017 at 08:47 AM about the 1999 Buick Riviera Supercharged Coupe FWD

Question type: Car Selling & Trading In

Only 1,787 Rivieras were built for 1999 the last year.  Today less than 100
have been found.  In my past whenever a limited built car has been built their
value has gone up my belief is that the same will happen to this marvelous
supercharged coupe.

26,305

Don't want to rain on your parade- really I don't- anything after 1980 is not going to go up in value- with a few exceptions- people make this mistake often- they think their cars are made of gold- this is a mass-produced car that can not be rebuilt- really it can't- it is not cost effective to go through all the machinery and all the electronics- these modern cars are all, basically, disposable-

2,660

So few modern cars have what it takes to be true collectables. Jamn is on the right track, there is just a very limited number of late model cars that will be even worth what they cost new in maybe 30 years......so if you hang on long enough you might get back what you paid for it.

305,725

I agree with the posts above. Number produced means nothing if there is a not a demand for the vehicle. Present and future. Guides value the car at $4200 in excellent condition as your vehicle looks to be in.

75

I think all of the above comes from folks who have never driven this car and the rarity will be noticed in the near future this car is a sleeper. Today it would cost over $100,000 to match a full size coupe my 2 cents.

20

I guess none of these naysayers have ever heard of Barrett Jackson .... Anyways I love my 1999 Riviera with only 40000 miles .... And you CAN'T have it !!!

Best Answer Mark helpful
75

This car is a sleeper no current car can match the value of this well made vehicle selling 4

2,660

The supercharged 3800 engine in any GM car makes it pretty special. I owned 2 Regal GS sedans...not very sporty but that engine thought it was a V8 and still got great gas mileage. Not sure which number is correct but the BCA listing shows 2,154 Rivieras built in 1999. It is still a low production number.

120,145

Virtually any car can be called "rare" if you base that on options, colors, year etc. but then almost all cars are then "rare" in one sense or another. Desirability is the real value factor. 99 Rivieras will be worth a couple of thousand 30 years from now.

20

F_O_R .... You're talking 2000 BITcoins , right !!!?

120,145

Look at the price on real collectible cars like Vettes and Jags or even real classic 1960's Rivieras before you plan on spending all that money you think your car is worth.

120,145

The asking price for the only 99 on Hemming's is only 13k which is hardly the stuff dreams are made of.