I have a 1998 Buick Riviera. I tried to jump my car with a jumpstarter. It started up the first time with the jump starter; but I did not follow the jumpstarter instructions completely right because I left the jump starter connected for about five minutes and let it run on the car (the directions said to turn the jumpstarter off immediately after the car starts); then I thought the car was fine; so I turned the car off then disconnected the jumpstarter. Then I tried to start the car again and it did not start; so I put the jumpstarter on again; but this time it did not start the car. So I charged the jumpstarter until it indicated it was charged. Then I tried to jumpstart the car again with the jumpstarter and it still did not work. Did I mess up the jump starter by not initially following the instructions or is it the car battery...?

30

Asked by Jan 26, 2015 at 11:23 AM about the 1998 Buick Riviera Supercharged Coupe FWD

44,345

It's either a dead battery or your starter is shot. If you tried to start it with the jumper and when you turned the key, absolutely nothing happened, I would first suspect the starter. The battery seemed to be able to turn it over the first time. With a fully charged jumper box, the engine should have cranked over just a little with a near dead battery. You can first make sure your connections are good and tight. Make sure they are also clean and not corroded. If all is good and still won't turn over, replace the starter.

30

Very helpful -- thank you