How do I get "service soon" light off'

5

Asked by Mar 07, 2015 at 08:56 PM about the 2004 Buick Rendezvous CX

recently had car serviced, but my "service soon"  light still comes on. How can I get it to
go off?

860

Usual method is this: with car off, keep driver door open, press and hold trip odometer switch, insert key in ignition and turn only until accessory lights turn on. After about 20-30 seconds the check engine light should turn off. Release the troop odometer switch, then turn car off and then back on. The CEL should be off unless you have other problems that need to be checked farther using an OBD scanner.

63,235

It must be cleared with a scan tool. If the problem has been solved though the light will go off on it's own. It'll take a few days to do so. HTH. - Jim

860

Most cars use the steps I mentioned above. It works just fine on most Hyundai, Honda, acura, Lexus, infinity, gm, and other cars. I'm talking about the service engine soon light after having the car serviced, as in a scheduled maintenance oil change. Other types of service, yes will require a scanner to read and then clear the code. The question didn't cify what kind of service was performed. Many shops forget to reset the maintenance counter after an oil change, but any shop forgetting to do this after servicing a car for more than this is not worth going back to again for service. The light can also come on when its over filled with gas and the fuel system sensor can tell the gas cap is loose, defective, or something has set off the evap system. On that case clearing the cold is useless as it will go off by itself in a few days of normal driving assd it resets and clears itself. So many people ask such vague questions with little information its hard to be more accurate with a reply. Like asking for help why my car won't start.

100

My service engine light stays on in my buick rendevouz. I have had the code read and it says it is the Co2 sensor and the spark plugs. I have had all that work done and the light will not shut off. Is there a way to permanently turn it off?

860

You need to use a scanner tool to read the ecu or ecm codes and then clear them properly. If they resurface, then there must be (a)nother issue(s) that are causing it that needs to be properly investigated and corrected before they can cause other more expensive and serious problems. I'd invest $80-120 in a decent scanner tools like at Memosca U561/581 and keep it handy to check and review any error codes. Then you can report back here with your results or perform some internet searches for assistance.