How do I get "service soon" light off'

5

Asked by Mar 07, 2015 at 08:56 PM about the 2004 Buick Rendezvous CX FWD

recently had car serviced, but my "service soon"  light still comes on. How can I get it to
go off?

980

Usual method is this: with car off, keep driver door open, press and hold trip odometer switch, insert key in ignition and turn only until accessory lights turn on. After about 20-30 seconds the check engine light should turn off. Release the troop odometer switch, then turn car off and then back on. The CEL should be off unless you have other problems that need to be checked farther using an OBD scanner.

72,345

It must be cleared with a scan tool. If the problem has been solved though the light will go off on it's own. It'll take a few days to do so. HTH. - Jim

980

Most cars use the steps I mentioned above. It works just fine on most Hyundai, Honda, acura, Lexus, infinity, gm, and other cars. I'm talking about the service engine soon light after having the car serviced, as in a scheduled maintenance oil change. Other types of service, yes will require a scanner to read and then clear the code. The question didn't cify what kind of service was performed. Many shops forget to reset the maintenance counter after an oil change, but any shop forgetting to do this after servicing a car for more than this is not worth going back to again for service. The light can also come on when its over filled with gas and the fuel system sensor can tell the gas cap is loose, defective, or something has set off the evap system. On that case clearing the cold is useless as it will go off by itself in a few days of normal driving assd it resets and clears itself. So many people ask such vague questions with little information its hard to be more accurate with a reply. Like asking for help why my car won't start.

170

My service engine light stays on in my buick rendevouz. I have had the code read and it says it is the Co2 sensor and the spark plugs. I have had all that work done and the light will not shut off. Is there a way to permanently turn it off?

980

You need to use a scanner tool to read the ecu or ecm codes and then clear them properly. If they resurface, then there must be (a)nother issue(s) that are causing it that needs to be properly investigated and corrected before they can cause other more expensive and serious problems. I'd invest $80-120 in a decent scanner tools like at Memosca U561/581 and keep it handy to check and review any error codes. Then you can report back here with your results or perform some internet searches for assistance.

10

I, like Lester, the original poster, have had my Rendezvous serviced and the "service vehicle soon" light continues to pop up, even when it's been cleared multiple times. It's different from the check engine light, but i have hooked up my code reader and had the repairs done but to no avail. That light remains! I do notice that it goes away at night but comes right back the next day, almost with the sun! I've tried Giulio's above mentioned method to clear it and, alas, it's still there. Any ideas?

72,345

Jenny, I believe this is a maintenance reminder light. Kinda like an oil change light. On many GMs it can be reset by turning the ignition on to the run position. Don't start the engine. Press the accelerator pedal to the floor and release it 5 times within 5 seconds. Then immediately turn off the ignition. HTH. -Jim

03 rendezvous owner.love love love this suv, however, im growing to HATE it! It started with over heating issues. After changing the water pump, thermostat, radiator, radiator hoses and then trying to put a lower temp thermostat in my suv didnt help, i finally decided to change head gaskets, even though it wasnt showing any signs of a blown head gasket (no milky oil, no white smoke, and ironically was still driveable, just over heated after about 10 mins) turned out to be the head gaskets. After replacing those and an intake gasket i get the suv back, its not over heating anymore. However, its idoling rough, was cutting off when comimg to a complete stop, and doesnt accelerate correctly. Going up hill is an absolute nightmare. So i started with new spark plugs and wires, then coil packs. After fixing those it was doing the same thing. So i had it plugged up at the autoparts store instead of reading "multiple misfires" it was reading misfire in cylinder 1. Along with the EGR valve. Considering i already replaced the coil pack and spark plugs i fixed the EGR valve. Its accelerating a little better but still not as it should, and since replacing the EGR valve the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light keeps flashing on and off. So i took it to the parts store again to have it hooked up again. And its still only reading "MISFIRE IN CYLINDER 1" and the "EGR VALVE" and still isnt accelerating like it used to! What could be wrong?! The auto parts store guy looked at me and chuckled and said "youve got over $1,500 in parts alone just for this car you could have got a different car by now" keep in mind guys ive had to pay a mechanic to fix these parts each time. Its breaking my bank and my sanity at this point!!

10

When my truck had similar problems to posts listed above. It seemed to take forever to resolve the issue. It was the evap and had to drive my suv at least 150 miles for it to clear. Changing the gas cap helped too. Also, like stated above, if the gas cap is not on correctly it will cause the service light to go on. One more thing for the record. I had serious problems with over heating and changed the thermostat, intake valve etc. Red light would still come on only to find out I needed a new radiator cap. Sometimes the simplest fixes are the ones we tend to overlook. 02 Rendzvous