Electrical Problem

25

Asked by May 11, 2008 at 02:22 AM about the 1990 Buick Reatta Coupe FWD

Was wondering, I inherited this vehicle from my mother she owned it for 16 of its 18 years, it was very well taken care of being parked in the garage it has very low milage, my question is I have had an electrical problem with it where the console panel lights go out occasionally, you turn off the car and restart it and it is fine, I took it to Buick and spent 1,000.00 to repair this only to have it do it once more, it runs great and does not seem to be a problem when this occurs about once every three months, does anybody have the same problem or maybe know what might be causing this please let me know if anyone has a suggestion.

Thanks
Darryl

46,135

This is a very common problem with the digital dash. They were known for this and the best solution is to get a rebuild digital dash that may have a warranty, which should correct the problem. The issue was in the factory power supply to the digital dash. I had a 1990 Riviera that did the same thing, and I scrapped a 1992 Riv and resold a 1990 Reatta that both had similar issues.

Best Answer Mark helpful
55

....funny, I just mentioned this s moment ago. It sound to me like you have the inverter issue,burried in the dash is an AC inverter for the illumination that actually over heats and eventually dies all together. I replaced it in one car, but in another I drilled/siliconed wide angle LEDs as part of my own solution, that worked better as they looked much cleaner/crisper afterwards. -Mike

75

I've had mice eat the wires on cars that have been setting and then the wire short out putting mice killer around your car if it sets