i changed my thermostat on my 1990 Buick Reatta and it still overheats what did I miss?

Asked by Apr 19, 2016 at 12:52 AM about the 1990 Buick Reatta 2 Dr STD Convertible

10

Could be a number of things fan motor, relay, engine control temp sensor or mayb crack in radiator had same issue with my sat i replaced all of the above n fixed it

10

Or a clogg in one of your hoses orfaulty thromostat

16,790

Have you had the cooling system flushed ?

37,905

The cooling system probably needs to be bled out from air pockets. Bet it was not done when refilling the cooling system. Otherwise a clogged radiator or blown or cracked head, or head gasket.

630

As noted by other people it could be several things. (1) is it actually overheating? What are the symptoms? Is it just the temp gage showing hot or is the engine actually getting hot and pushing coolant back into the reservoir ? (2) If the engine is not actually getting overheated, then it is probably a bad sending unit. (3) are the fans working? On the Reatta the one on the engine side comes on first as the temp goes up, then the one on the front of the radiator comes on...both at half speed...then if the temp get to around 230 both fans should go to high speed. There are several relays involved (they are in the underhood relay center located in front of the air cleaner) let us know what you find.