Speed and Gas guages stopped working

15

Asked by Jul 12, 2013 at 09:57 PM about the 1999 Buick Park Avenue Ultra FWD

Recently had to have my car jump started cause the battery mysteriously died overnight. After getting it started, I noticed that both my speedometer guage and my gas-level  guage were way off (neither shows the correct speed nor amount of gas in my tank). What caused them both to do this? Is there a way to fix them?

the battery needs to be newer than five...with a coarse wirebrush disassemble the 1/0 battery connection to the chassis and brush it free of corrosion and re-assemble it~....with your new battery~

Best Answer Mark helpful
15

Thanks Judge_Roy. Do you really believe that my battery is the problem?

well grounding or lack thereof can play hell with the electrics and cause a brown out condition...seeing as the 300 amp connection and the dainty ECM connection are sharing the same connection there will be trouble~

you have to understand that in the old days we had a gadget called a "load tester" which would apply a controlled DEAD short to the battery, then we would see if it would still be able to start your car....then see how long it took to charge up again...as batteries degrade ten percent per year, the ability to take a charge makes it so that in ten years cannot be charged up....all this time making the alternator work just as hard as it can to charge up the faulty battery...comprendez?