security re-set

Asked by Nov 30, 2013 at 12:02 PM about the 1998 Buick Park Avenue Ultra FWD

I've got a 1998 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (that I gave to my daughter) .The key fob went dead and she replaced the battery I understand that I have to reprogram it...in the meantime the security alarm goes off every time she opens  the door, so I have   2 questions...#1 where can I get the keyfob re programed other that a $75 dealership and # 2 how do I reset the security for the car...I know the answer to #2 is in the owners manual that was in the car when I passed it on but of course she does not know where it is. can you help ? thanks Dave

78,025

You shouldn't have to reprogram the fob because the battery died. On my '00 Grand Prix (similar car) there's a fuse marked "MALL PGM". Remove it. Get in the car, close the doors. Cycle the ignition until you hear it chime. Usually about 5 times. Then press and hold both the lock and unlock buttons on the fob until the door locks cycle. Reinstall the fuse and you'll be good to go. Hope that works. -Jim

20

Fuse

10

when you put the new battery in the keyfob, there are tiny instructions inside the fob. Hold down the unlock and lock buttons for 7 seconds beside the car. Done