Aftermarket Alarm/Remote Starter

245

Asked by Feb 04, 2012 at 07:28 AM about the 1997 Buick Park Avenue FWD

PLEASE HELP!!!! WE REALLY NEED OUR 2ND VEHICLE BACK!
I have a 1997 Buick Park Ave. It was bought used, with an aftermarket alarm/remote starter already installed. I never had any of
the remotes or any paperwork on the device. Now, the car will start, run, but intermittently when you come to a stop, like at a
light or stop sign, the car stalls and blows a 10A fuse on the block on the passenger's side kick panel.  I replace the fuse, and the
car will start again, run fro a little while, then begin to chug, run REALLY rich, and do the same thing again.
I had a garage look at it, and they said the problem is in the "brain" of the aftermarket unit.
Can anyone tell me...the only way to get this thing out is to repair AL of the locations that this thing was spliced into the factory
wires at? Or is there an easier way to by-pass the system?

1,355

Try to isolate the wires that go to the engine immobiliser on the alarm unit cut them and solder them together so you have a bypas loop of the alarm. The other option would be to replace the alarm with a new unit that has a similar connection. MOst of these aftermarket alarms will have the same connection type so it might be a simple swap.

705

Remove this aftermarket system ASAP. All GM engineers I know say that this car was not designed to have aftermaket items installed. Too many bus wires and 5V circuits that if tapped into incorrectly will wreak havoc on the operation of the car. My guess is that the aftermarket system is wired into the car wrong.