1992 buick park ave randomly stalls out and will crank but not start again for sometimes an hour or so

Asked by Dec 14, 2014 at 04:35 PM about the 1992 Buick Park Avenue 4 Dr STD Sedan

About a week ago I was idling in a drive thru when the engine stalled for the first time.
Kept trying to start it and it would crank but not start. Pushed the car to a parking spot
let it sit for over an hour then it started right up no problem. Drove about 25 miles or so
and it stalled out again. I have made short trips since then here and there, sometimes it
stalls out while driving sometimes it does not have a problem at all. It seems very
random as to when it stalls. It usually doesnt stall while idling except that very first
incident. Other times its been 25 mph, 40 mph, or 55-60 mph and the engine just quits
completely no warning like chugging or misfire or anything. A few times I was able to
put in Neutral while still coasting and it has started back up but most the times it does
not until it sits for a while. Checked coil packs and ignition control module both are
good. Please Help me !!??

4,605

Check fuel filter and fuel pump pressure. It sounds like you are running out of gas as you drive.

Once the vehicle warms up , the temperature sensor could be sending a higher than normal reading to the computer and the car would turn off to avoid damage.Then after that hour or so, it cools down and senses normally.Also the crankshaft sensor could show this symptom.If the MIL (malfunction indicator lamp)is on, have an auto parts store run the codes and post them.

10,340

I had a very similar problem with a 91 chevy 3.1 v6. it ended up being injector problems. have the injectors tested.

Thanks to all. Realized i forgot to say in original post that there is no MIL or check engine light on at all. Going to check the crankshaft sensor tomorrow, thanks again.

4,605

This car is too old for that! Wish all cars had ODBII. It would sure make troubleshooting faster

LOL.....I should have added: your vehicle is an obd I system.That can still be read. If not by the auto parts stores, then a mechanic should have both obd I and obdII. Good luck

10,340

Injector problems on obd1 systems won't throw a code.

Not sure on that, but I believe the temp.sensor will. I could be wrong though.Either way, It couldn't hurt to have it scanned. Given the age of the vehicle, the service engine light could be faulty in the dash and if it is coding, you may not see the light on when it should be on.

4,605

It sounds like it is something that temp effects and not time. There are many things that could be wrong with a 22 year old car. Are you sure you want to pursue this to the end or spend the money on a newer car. Maybe this one is sentimental and makes it worth the effort. don't know but I don't think there is going to be an easy or inexpensive answer when all is done. Good luck.