Why does my muffler keep blowing up?

5

Asked by Aug 16, 2015 at 03:06 PM about the 1991 Buick Park Avenue 4 Dr Ultra Sedan

Twice while driving my car backfired and the muffler blew a hole in it. Then today I left car
running and got back in to take off and it stalled. Took few times to turnover and car
backfired and blew hole in muffler. This is the 3rd time it has happened now. Can you
help with an answer to this?

19,980

Usually when a engine back fires the timing is off or a miss firing plug.

102,005

Sometimes this happens when the ignition system has an intermittent fault, it momentarily shuts of the spark but not the fuel, raw fuel is pumped into the exhaust system then the spark starts again and BOOM you get a backfire, I would recommend having the car checked for codes, hopefully there will be something in memory that will give you a place to start, it will be a tough find without any codes but you could replace the crank sensor, ignition module and cam sensor to start if there are no codes.

5

I just changed plugs and wires. What would cause it to stall while driving down the road??

5

I have replaced the Crank and cam sensors.

102,005

Ignition module