What would cause an ignition module to keep going bad I've gone through 3 in a month. It's on a leasbre 05

Asked by Apr 03, 2015 at 11:21 PM about the 2005 Buick LeSabre Custom

Jason Zane

that is odd.. check for shorts on the lines. is a sparkplug wire too close to a data line?

Kelly Mayo

is it getting hot...whats the voltage to it?

Best Answer

No it is not getting hot and when I take it back to the pparts store to get tested it pops red within seconds. Would weak coils cause it to short out? And it's a Borg Warner part not delco would that make a difference also

Yes sometimes the "replacement" parts aren't exactly like the oem (delco) part. It could also be a bad, weak, or shorted coil. My 04 gave me the same issue.. Went through 5 boards. Got a delco and replaced the coils wires & plugs. Car run fine for a week. Stalled again. It was the power train control module. How many miles does the car have?

The car has 149k on it and would it be worth putting a used one on or spend the 400 on it

I would say so. They are dependable and almost bullet proof motors here is my mileage as off Friday last week. A used pcm is ok on Amazon for 75 preprogrammed to your vin.. I am currently at 254,xxx miles and running strong.

So you recommend the 75 off Amazon if that's the problem

I would have a shop check it to see if it is the pcm first. It is located inside the air intake where the filter is located. Take that black box apart. Keep the connections clean and be careful to not bend any prongs if you have to remove or replace it.

Ok thank you for your help

I take my 2005 LeSabre to Firestone and I'm having the same problem. They've replaced it a few times already (under warranty) over the last six months and still have problems. I checked the maker and it's also Borg Warner.

Use ac delco replacement parts. Knock offs are the problem. They aren't to "spec" and never will be. I am currently at 274,000 miles and still get 30 to a gallon on the highway. These cars are known for going 400,000 plus. My goal is 350,000