rack and pinion

Asked by May 22, 2013 at 10:05 PM about the 2003 Buick LeSabre Custom

My buick is making a clunk noise when i turn the steering wheel, (when the tires turn rotate at least 90 degrees, I have been told by mienieke that it is the rack and pinion. I have a buick lesabre. 2003. I am trying to find a mechanic to fix this problem. The prices at mienieke are out rageous based on me looking the price of the part up

246,995

Yes definetely find another mechanic for a diagnosis and estimate. But remember, that shops mark up the cost of the parts, then add labor costs. It's how they make money. If it is the Rack and Pinion, your talking some big money.

615

sounds like it could be the intermediate shaft, located just above the gas and brake pedals, going through the firewall. this connects the steering shaft to the rack, and will make a popping/clunking noise when the wheel is turned. GM cars have lots of problems with these.

105

amberortner15 sorry to hear of your problem. Wish you were in CR so I could help you. I would take it to a GOOD GM shop but remember they do charge for diagnoses some times.OH, I own a 2002 and 2004 La Sabre. The 2002 has a noise but feels like a loose steering wheel.