Should I buy remanufactured MAF sensor or one at local auto part store

35

Asked by Nov 05, 2016 at 02:49 PM about the 2002 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan FWD

I have a 2002 buick lesabre. My care keeps cutting off once get hot. I have fuel pump and fuel sensor changed, crankshaft sensor changed, and electronic control module changed. Spark plugs have been tested as good. My mechanic had to finally take it to a dealership and they said it is a bad MAF sensor and connector.  Should I buy part from auto part store like autozone, online part store, junk yard, or should I go with the one from dealer. My mechanic told me the ones at a local auto store are remanufactured and usually don't do to well with GM cars. He stated he may try to get one from the junk yard for cheaper.

35

I meant should I buy a remanufactured one or go with the one from the dealership?

80,415

Never buy electronics from the junkyard unless you absolutely can't find the part anywhere else! You can buy new MAF sensors at the auto parts store as well as remanufactured ones. Insist on either a Delphi (first choice) or Denso. Both were suppliers to GM and will work fine. You can also order an AC Delco one from gmpartsdirect, gmpartsgiant, or possibly even rockauto. HTH. -Jim

35

Thanks Js08016. I thought it was a little strange that my mechanic was saying he could check at the junk yard. I will be sure to buy one from auto store or just go ahead and have dealerahip fix it

80,415

You're welcome. Glad to help. -Jim

35

So my mechanic put in a new MAF sensor, when i talked to him he said car was running fine and would keep test driving and running car for a few days. I went to go get my car and he told me the car started cutting out again and only running for 10-15min. He put in a duralast MAF sensor and said part store didnt have electrical connectors. So frustrated, any ideas what i should do. I am currently waiting for dealership to call me back, so i can here exactly from them what was wrong and how much hey will charge.

80,415

The part number for that pigtail (connector) is HP4240. HTH. -Jim

35

Thanks, dealership said it would be around 450.00 to fix. Think i will just try to buy the parts and find a new mechanic to fix it, dont think the one i went to wants to fix the connector or doesnt know how. Be cuase when i mentioned if i get the connector and part from dealer wold he put it in, he just says he doesnt think the connector is bad, not sure if or how he tested it to know it doesnt need changed as well. Dealership told me it semed like to them that he really didnt want to fix it once they told him the connecter needed changing. Hell if i ciuld find a video i would just do it myself, can only find ones just replacing the sensor

80,415

It's not really hard to change the connector. There's 3 wires on this one. One at a time, clip the wires going to the original connector. Strip about 1/4 inch of insulation off the wire. Use a butt connector for each wire and attach the new pigtail connector. You can use either heat shrink tubing or electrical tape to protect the splice from dirt and moisture. Just remember to do 1 wire at a time so nothing gets mixed up. You can do it! HTH. -Jim