blue devil

Asked by Dec 29, 2015 at 11:34 AM about the 2001 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan FWD

I have water and oil mixing on my buick and
wanted to know if blue devil would fix my problem

235

IT MIGHT HELP . IT DEPENDS HOW BIG OF A LEAK YOU HAVE. YOU NEED TO REPLACE LOWER INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET AND HEAD GASKET IF IT OVER HEATS.

104,395

Most of the Techs on this site will tell you never put any block sealers in your engine, it can plug up vital small cooling passages inside the motor causing a bigger problem than you started with, not to mention what it does to heater cores and radiators. That stuff was made for big rigs with massive cooling systems and huge displacement engines that required large coolant flows to keep things cool. I recommend fixing the problem not just treating the symptom. Have it block checked to see if it is a head gasket problem or intake leaking, but have it fixed soon or you will be in for major engine damage to all bearings, plus if combustion pressures are getting into the cooling system you can rupture the heater core and radiator. HTH

I have no heater core on my car took it to the shop and they took it off they said it would run better ...... I also had to change the bearings thats in my oil pan so....?????

104,395

So you still have a problem, bypassing a heater core will not make it run better unless it is fractured and leaking coolant, then it is bypassed to allow you to drive it without overheating due to coolant loss via the heater core. you have already had to replace the rods and main bearings the next to go will be the cam bearings, your getting close to replacing the entire engine at this point if it has started to sludge up with milky residue in the top end it maybe already too late. HTH

Ok I have another motor and the only problem is the bearings is their anything I should look for while changing them

104,395

Absolutely, you need to check the crankshaft journals to make sure they are round and not egg shaped, also journal size to make sure you get the right bearings, and if any of the journals are scored then the crankshaft will have to be turned or a complete crank kit installed, and if you are going to replace the camshaft bearings you will also need to check the camshaft for the same scouring, and you will need some special tools to replace the camshaft bearings. Keep a look out for any worn parts, like leaking water pump, engine mounts, hoses, etc. a new oil pump might be a good idea while your in that far also.

71,875

It's the intake manifold gaskets. GM 3.8s are notorious for this! It's NOT the head gaskets. The 3.8 rarely, if ever, blow a head gasket. Have the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets replaced. Replace the plastic upper intake manifold. Don't reuse the old one. They crack. Also, as part of the repair, have the oil and oil filter changed twice immediately after the engine is put back together. This will remove the contaminates from the coolant from the engine and prevent a spun bearing. This isn't a major catastrophe. Probably between $600 and $800 at a reputable shop. HTH. -Jim