somthing keeps killing my battery

Asked by Feb 11, 2015 at 01:06 PM about the 1997 Buick LeSabre Limited

I have to jump off my car every morning something keeps killing my battery and we cant find anything on what could it be

It's the alternator

485

While it is technically possible to have an internal draw through the alternator due to a bad diode, don't just throw one in before checking other causes first. Normally when an alternator fails the car will not stay running after it jump starts since there would be no output to create the electricity necessary to run the car. Has the battery been tested and passed? Another thing you can do is disconnect the battery overnight, if it starts in the morning you have a draw, if not it is simply the battery. Also when you connect the battery note if there is any sparking. There may be a small spark do to things like clocks and computer back ups but if there is a strong spark or arcing it indicates a stronger draw. If you have a draw it is some what tedious to find. Let us know how the battery tests and whether it starts after the battery has been disconnected overnight and we can proceed from there.