p1870 code

10

Asked by Sep 10, 2016 at 04:33 PM about the 1997 Buick LeSabre Custom

ok,  here we go,  I purchased this car for $500 from a neighbor.  its
throwing 5 codes p1870,p0118, p0336 p0440 p1406.  I know what your
thinking.  wabs car.   I was told the light was always on.  etc.  so my questin
is.  It seems to run good,  starts up.  the car has 151k.  could the tranny go
another 5 or 10k with this issue?  Or is it a dont drive it anymore issue.  Im
just looking for a car to last a couple of months.   

251,265

Shouldn't you have asked this question Before you bought it? For $500 drive it till it dies. P1870 is a trans code, so that is on the way out. P1406 is an EGR position sensor, P0440 is an evap code, P0336 is a camshaft position sensor, P0118 is engine coolant temp circuit high. How is the rest of the car, so do you want to put anymore money into it?

98,505

P1870 transmission component slipping, hard to say what is slipping, could be a pressure problem due to a plugged filter or bad pump, I would try servicing the tranny and add a can of TransX to the fluid and try driving it around slowly, then clear the code and see if it returns. the only other code that might leave you sitting along the road is the CPS A circuit code. The ECT code might make it a little hard too start when the weather gets colder. The other two codes I would ignore for now.

69,405

Try this for the P1460 (EGR valve) code. Unplug the EGR valve, clear the computer, turn off the ignition, plug the EGR valve back in. This will enable the computer to relearn the closed position of the EGR valve and (sometimes) stop the code from popping up. This especially needs to be done if the EGR valve has been replaced. The P0440 (EVAP system large leak) is usually caused by a faulty gas cap or disconnected vacuum line for the EVAP system. Try a new gas cap, they're cheap. TransX really does work in many situations. Follow the instructions on the can to the letter. I've seen it bring transmissions back to life. As far as the coolant temperature sensor code goes, replace the sensor with an AC Delco sensor. Aftermarket sensors don't seem to work well in these GM vehicles for some reason. Check the plug and the wiring going to the sensor as well. You may just have a bad connection. Camshaft position sensor code is no surprise. They're troublesome on these GMs. Again, check the plug and wiring going to the sensor. Replace the sensor. Except for the transmission code and possibly the EVAP code it doesn't seem too dreadful. Sounds like the previous owner just drove the car, ignoring the check engine light, so the issues piled up. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer Mark helpful
10

thank you for all the responses. I really just need the car to last till january , I plan on buying a new one then. the other owner told me the engine light was on since they purchased the car. they put a new alternator in and did the rocker panels. and drove it for a year. they purchased for their son, the kid is going to college now and doesnt need a car. Yes, i should of look further into it. but we spent 3 weeks trying to find a car under 3k. all the cars i found had atleast 150k miles on them and asked price of 3-5k$. I figured i just buy a 500 b2 or eater and prey i get 3 or 4 months our of it. I know I can get $250 or $300 scrape for it. so what am i out . a couple of hundred dollars. only issue is that it has to pass inspections. ill find out tomorrow if their are any safty issues. i was told anything older 2002 doest have to pass emissions.

69,405

You're welcome. Glad to help. Thank you for the best answer click! I did some more research on the transmission code (P1870). This is a known issue at GM on these transmissions. It's usually the valve body. It's about a $500 repair. GM issued a service bulletin for this. I'd try the TransX. Emissions exemptions vary State to State. Beginning May 1, 2016 New Jersey is exempting passenger cars 1995 and older from emissions testing. Some larger trucks and other vehicles meeting certain criteria made after 1995 are exempt as well. So check with your State Department of Motor Vehicles to be sure. Before May 1 no passenger car was exempt from emissions testing. HTH. -Jim