How do I fix a GM transmission that won't go into gear?

TimBelden
180

Asked by Feb 14, 2013 at 12:32 AM about the 1993 Buick LeSabre Custom

It always happens first thing in the morning when I first start the car. This also happens sometimes at
stop signs when you take off again. When I put it in 1st gear it will kick in and then I can put it into drive
or reverse. It has been this way for about a year or more. What is going on with this and how do I fix it?

Pull the stick...smell, is it burnt? With the transmission running, pull the stick, check the level. There is about a gallon in your torque converter. There are some fluid lines that go to your radiator, check to make sure the fittings aren't sweating out red. Make sure there is plenty of air flow thru the radiator transmission cooler. Not shifting, could be internal mechanisms (friction wheels, belts etc.) not going. a transmission flush might fix you, but if damage was done...doubtful-

TimBelden
180

It shifts fine and smooth. It just won't engage when going from a stopped position.

Jason Zane
5,955

how many miles on it? seems like it has slippage. my X-mission went at 164k mi ..with normal fluid change and big city driving.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCqN1ag6PyA

guess that's for changing the fluid, but shows you what to do!

If you're level were only slightly low, would crash into gear and be unpleasant- kinda important. Dexron is your fluid, I believe.

Jason Zane
5,955

your dipstick is the one next to the firewall. when u run the car (drive it around the block), put it back to park , open the hood check the dipstick with the ENGINE RUNNING. it must have fluid between the XXXXX marks if below add some till it is between the indicated marks on the stick but DO NOT OVER FILL. use DEXTRON like BOb said. letting the X-mission run like that for a year is not good.. it might be due for an overhaul. mine lasted 20 years. you might replace the vaccuum modulator to see if there is any improvement also. it is tied to a vaccuum hose to the throttlebody.

Jason Zane
5,955

actually i mean't fluid & filter change... that filter gets a lot of sediment from wear in 40k mi of use.

James Ramond
17,445

internal clense ,good for body and transmixer too , just different r/x

had a similar problem recently with the shift linkage and a silly pink retaining pin that would fall off...do you have a brake pedal switch that will enable the shifter?...see if your brake lights are working~ uses the same switch~