Buick has periodic starting and stalling problem

Asked by Apr 19, 2013 at 02:47 PM about the 1992 Buick LeSabre Limited

Have replaced factory installed ignition module with coilpack and crankshaft sensor.
at dealership two times. The vehicle will run for a couple of years and do the same
thing again. Would like to know if it's possible to replace the ignition module and
coilpack with a Delco type. I understand that this vehicle has a Magnavox ignition
system with a one piece coilpack and may not be compatable with the computer??
I almost forgot that the coilpack has been replaced one other time about three years ago. Other than that the engine runs fine with 157,700+ miles.
Recently the engine would not start again after sitting for a while and ocasionally will
stall when driving. Also has there been factory recalls for this type of thing?
I understand this is guite common in the Early 90's Buicks.

I think there is a Technical Service Bulletin on this>>>>>>http://www.automd.com/tsb/buick_m/lesabre_mm/1992_y/

reviewing that link am finding nothing of this problem listed...am going to have to say get a new battery and clean the black battery cable, the end that goes to the chassis ground with a coarse wirebrush. This is overlooked because everytime you start the engine the dissimilar metals "weld" themselves leaving a layer of corrosion creating an "iffy" supply to the computer....shame they share the same grounds 300 cca starting amperage and perhaps 750 mA together for the last time....maybe they will see the error of their ways....~

I had the same problem with my sons 89 Buick lesabre after changing multiple items that never fixed the problem I finally replaced the ecm and prom chip from another car at the local junk yard and it fixed the problem before I did that I replaced fuel injectors fuel regulator cam sensor crankshaft sensor fuel pump spark plugs and plug wires battery coil and icm ignition switch key lock cylinder tps sensor changed every vacum hoses temp sensor Egr valve iac sensor maf sensor so he has a car that now runs great and I don't regret changing any of those parts they all need to be changed I am sure the previous owner didn't do anything except oil hope this may help someone