stalling problem92 buick lesabre

355

Asked by Nov 09, 2012 at 11:12 PM about the 1992 Buick LeSabre Custom

My car has 229.000 miles it likes stalling after 30 minutes and wont start for 5 minutes anyone one know what's
wrong coils or crankshaft sensor I fixed the ignition module I'm not sure where to go now please help its a very
smooth running car it generally is a dependable car until last week

30,955

Crank sensor could be a start.

355

So I was gonna change coils I just changed ignition module it helped the engine it used to run rough now its better the 3800 crankshaft sensors do go out on these cars so I should just skip coils and buy a crankshaft sensor plus harmonic balancer? Someone said it could be passkey you know that black chip on key but the security light isn't flashing

30,955

I don't imagine anything is wrong with the balancer pulley. The reason I would start with a crank position sensor is because it seems like a key suspect to the symptoms. Next time it happens check for spark by removing the plug wires from all 6 coil nipples. If there is no sperk between the nips while cranking then I would definitely start there. If a magnet inside the sensor is cracked the heat could be expanding it just enough to throw off the sensor pulses.

Best Answer
355

Thanks john I'm fixing it Monday and me and my friend checked the plugs no spark the car just shuts off without warning and there's no spark then after 5 minutes it comes to life thanks I appreciate you're help I was reading how the Buick 3800 is famous for crankshaft sensor problems

30,955

Let me know how it goes, reply if youneed help.

355

OK I will I have faith it will work plus I'm tired of walking to work I'm honestly just a poor Guy that's why I drive dying lesabre lmao

30,955

Sometimes the bolt really gives a fight coming out of the crank. With how the engine turns, if done correctly you can wedge a breaker bar to the ground and bump the starter to crank the engine to loosen the bolt. If it comes down to doing this be very very carefully and make sure no one is near the engine. Also make sure the proper fuses are pulled to prevent spark and fuel from entering the engine. Do you have a manual with the procedure for removing sensor itself? If not I can copy and paste the procedure from Chiltons.

355

No I don't

30,955

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.--------------- 2. Remove the serpentine drive belt from the crankshaft pulley.-------- 3. Raise and safely support the vehicle.------------- 4. Remove the right front wheel and tire assembly and the right inner fender access cover/splash shield.--------------- 5. Using a 28mm socket, remove the crankshaft harmonic balancer retaining bolt.---------------- 6, Remove the crankshaft balancer, using a puller if necessary.--------- 7. For 1992-99 vehicles, remove the CKP sensor shield.-------- 8. Unplug the sensor electrical connector.--------------- 9. For 1992-99 vehicles, remove the sensor from the block face.--------------

30,955

here is a pic

30,955

1. Install the CKP sensor on the block.------------- 2. Install the retaining bolts and tighten to 14-28 ft. lbs. (20-40 Nm).-------------- 3. Install the crankshaft position sensor shield.--------------------- 4. Attach the sensor electrical connector.---------------- 5. Install the balancer on the crankshaft.------------- 6. Tighten the crankshaft bolt to 110 ft. lbs. (150 Nm), plus an additional 7° rotation.------- 7. Install the inner fender shield and the right tire and wheel assembly.------------- 8. Carefully lower the vehicle.-------------- 9. Install the serpentine belt.--------------- 10. Connect the negative battery cable.----------- If you have any issues post a reply to this page. I have this page send emails to my phone and ill get to it as quickly as possible.

30,955

PS there were more steps in there that did not pertain to your year so i erased them. .That's why some spots have the years posted in them.

355

Ok

355

John I forgot to tell you it was the crankshaft sensor!! Now I think the ball joints are bad there's a huge grinding and at 40 the wheel jerks its freaky

6,425

have u greased the ball joint fittings with a grease gun??

This was very helpful considering imam in tha same spot I cant get the bolt out of the crank pully at the moment but this helped ALOT thanks

If it wasnt for these posts id still be stuck lol

20

John, after installing for a 2001 Buick Lesabre v6, is the CKP needed to be realigned with a scan tool or can it be done some other way?

20

I'm having the same problem with my 92 Buick LeSabre this is very helpful!

20

How much is the sensor??

750

The sensor is about $9-20 at the most from most parts places. If you can't find it at a parts place then you've got no choice but to pay the dealership's high price.

750

I forgot to add an piece of insight. GM has had a problem with defective/remature failure of crankshaft position snesors in many vehicles since the early 90's. The Chevrolet Corsica LTZ was one of the worst examples where they would frequently fail within the first 60,000 kms mark.

I have a 95 buick park avenue and it'll start then cut off. But if you give gas it run and have hesitation with it. what could be the problem. I put new throttle body gasket that wasn't helpful. I had unplug the maf, tps, idle control sensor one at a time doing check to see if any thing changes. There was no change to it..