The ABS light stays on along with the Traction Control light.

Asked by Jul 27, 2015 at 08:44 PM about the 2005 Buick LaCrosse CX

These lights come on after the car is started.  The last time I had the car in the shop
I had 4 MM of wear left on the front brakes.  The rear brakes were replaced last year.
The car has 94 K mileage.  The front brakes were replaced with 62 K on them.  Rear brakes had 87 K when they were replaced.  The car had 91 K when the front brakes
had 4 MM wear left.  All the fuses check out OK.  The ABS has s solenoid. Maybe that is bad?  If the front brakes need to be replaced would that be the cause of the
warning lights to stay on?

355

Typically when both these lights come on it may be a bad wheel speed sensor, which means the wheel bearing will need to be changed. I would recommend taking it to the shop to have that looked at. Hope this helps!

61,165

The ABS and traction control systems work together. When a fault is detected in one system, both systems are disabled and both lights come on. I agree with JJ. Have the computer scanned for trouble codes and see which speed sensor (hub assembly) it is. HTH. -Jim

75

1) make sure your brake fluid is topped off 2) have autozone do a diagnostic check and pull codes. 3) could be one or more of your ABS speed sensors (NOT wheel bearing)

105

The speed sensor is built into the wheel bearing on some GM vehicles like my 2008 Buick Lacrosse so if the speed sensor is found to be defective the bearing unit has to be replaced - YES wheel bearing.

50

I have know answer. But I have the same problem. Had wheel bearing replaced but both indicator lights are still on.

105

I replaced the wiring harness to the left front wheel. A local auto parts store always carries the harness in stock because it is requested by repair shops so often. Problem solved :)

105

I forgot to mention that I did prove the problem I had to the left front wheel. I bounced both front sides of the vehicle while parked and monitored the indicator lights. It seemed that the left side would activate the lights. I took a chance and assumed there was a short in the harness on the left side and replaced that harness. The harness replacement that I purchased would fit both left or right side. Maybe I got lucky picking the left side. This is not very scientific but it isn't brain surgery either. Cost under $60.00 plus my time. I am a DIY backyard mechanic. Makes you wonder "why can't 'real' mechanics find this first before they replace bearings?"

75

how would bearings have anything to do with ABS lights? makes no sense...

75

Harness, YES, makes all the sense in the world ;)

105

My first post in this thread stated 'The speed sensor is built into the wheel bearing on some GM vehicles like my 2008 Buick Lacrosse so if the speed sensor is found to be defective the bearing unit has to be replaced - YES wheel bearing'. That is how the wheel bearing has something to do with the ABS light. Search the internet to find out more.

61,165

You are 100% correct, Beinghelpful46. Many GMs are like that. In fact at NAPA, where I work, part number BR930548K is a very popular GM hub bearing assembly. The wire connector is a sure sign that the ABS wheel sensor is built into the hub bearing assembly. This part number fits many GM cars made from about 1997 until about 2010. HTH. -Jim

20

I replaced all four hubs, struts, rotors and pads and light still on with my tire sensor light. What could be my problem....help please

75

pull the codes with a diagnostics tool at autozone... test TPMS sensors at a wheel/tire place or dealer... see if all sensors are communicating properly... and have them reset and re-linked to your TPMS module...

105

Sugab313 You spent a lot of money replacing the wrong things. Might as well try this next. ( I took this right from Rockauto.) DORMAN part #970040 2008 Buick Lacrosse ABS Harness (ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Connector) Easily and affordably restore the anti-lock brake system to proper, safe functioning with Dorman's Anti-Lock Brake Wheel Speed Sensor Wire Harness. It's sold separately, enabling you to replace only the failed harness-instead of the entire assembly. Connector included for easy mounting to the sensor Plug and play for ease of installation; no wire splicing necessary Designed for an exact fit every time Durable against harsh road and weather conditions, including winter salt and water intrusion Connector Material Plastic Connector/Terminal Type Male Jacket Material Plastic Package Contents Abs Harness Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 10340314, 10340316 This is what fixed my problem. After too many years of flexing at the lowe rcontrol arm the wiring in the harness breaks. Mine was on the driver side front end. An OBDII reader couldn't connect to my ABS system and the guy couldn't tell me how long it would take to diagnose and fix so I took a chance and $50 Canadian dollars later...:) :) :). http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/buick,2008,lacrosse,3.8l+v6, 1440065,electrical- connector,abs+wheel+speed+sensor+connector,762

10

My car is doing the same thing my abs and stability track stays on it's a 2010 Buick Lacrosse