The ABS light stays on along with the Traction Control light.

Asked by Jul 27, 2015 at 08:44 PM about the 2005 Buick LaCrosse CX FWD

These lights come on after the car is started.  The last time I had the car in the shop
I had 4 MM of wear left on the front brakes.  The rear brakes were replaced last year.
The car has 94 K mileage.  The front brakes were replaced with 62 K on them.  Rear brakes had 87 K when they were replaced.  The car had 91 K when the front brakes
had 4 MM wear left.  All the fuses check out OK.  The ABS has s solenoid. Maybe that is bad?  If the front brakes need to be replaced would that be the cause of the
warning lights to stay on?

445

Typically when both these lights come on it may be a bad wheel speed sensor, which means the wheel bearing will need to be changed. I would recommend taking it to the shop to have that looked at. Hope this helps!

79,195

The ABS and traction control systems work together. When a fault is detected in one system, both systems are disabled and both lights come on. I agree with JJ. Have the computer scanned for trouble codes and see which speed sensor (hub assembly) it is. HTH. -Jim

255

1) make sure your brake fluid is topped off 2) have autozone do a diagnostic check and pull codes. 3) could be one or more of your ABS speed sensors (NOT wheel bearing)

375

The speed sensor is built into the wheel bearing on some GM vehicles like my 2008 Buick Lacrosse so if the speed sensor is found to be defective the bearing unit has to be replaced - YES wheel bearing.

90

I have know answer. But I have the same problem. Had wheel bearing replaced but both indicator lights are still on.

375

I replaced the wiring harness to the left front wheel. A local auto parts store always carries the harness in stock because it is requested by repair shops so often. Problem solved :)

375

I forgot to mention that I did prove the problem I had to the left front wheel. I bounced both front sides of the vehicle while parked and monitored the indicator lights. It seemed that the left side would activate the lights. I took a chance and assumed there was a short in the harness on the left side and replaced that harness. The harness replacement that I purchased would fit both left or right side. Maybe I got lucky picking the left side. This is not very scientific but it isn't brain surgery either. Cost under $60.00 plus my time. I am a DIY backyard mechanic. Makes you wonder "why can't 'real' mechanics find this first before they replace bearings?"

255

how would bearings have anything to do with ABS lights? makes no sense...

255

Harness, YES, makes all the sense in the world ;)

375

My first post in this thread stated 'The speed sensor is built into the wheel bearing on some GM vehicles like my 2008 Buick Lacrosse so if the speed sensor is found to be defective the bearing unit has to be replaced - YES wheel bearing'. That is how the wheel bearing has something to do with the ABS light. Search the internet to find out more.

79,195

You are 100% correct, Beinghelpful46. Many GMs are like that. In fact at NAPA, where I work, part number BR930548K is a very popular GM hub bearing assembly. The wire connector is a sure sign that the ABS wheel sensor is built into the hub bearing assembly. This part number fits many GM cars made from about 1997 until about 2010. HTH. -Jim

50

I replaced all four hubs, struts, rotors and pads and light still on with my tire sensor light. What could be my problem....help please

255

pull the codes with a diagnostics tool at autozone... test TPMS sensors at a wheel/tire place or dealer... see if all sensors are communicating properly... and have them reset and re-linked to your TPMS module...

375

Sugab313 You spent a lot of money replacing the wrong things. Might as well try this next. ( I took this right from Rockauto.) DORMAN part #970040 2008 Buick Lacrosse ABS Harness (ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Connector) Easily and affordably restore the anti-lock brake system to proper, safe functioning with Dorman's Anti-Lock Brake Wheel Speed Sensor Wire Harness. It's sold separately, enabling you to replace only the failed harness-instead of the entire assembly. Connector included for easy mounting to the sensor Plug and play for ease of installation; no wire splicing necessary Designed for an exact fit every time Durable against harsh road and weather conditions, including winter salt and water intrusion Connector Material Plastic Connector/Terminal Type Male Jacket Material Plastic Package Contents Abs Harness Alternate/OEM Part Number(s): 10340314, 10340316 This is what fixed my problem. After too many years of flexing at the lowe rcontrol arm the wiring in the harness breaks. Mine was on the driver side front end. An OBDII reader couldn't connect to my ABS system and the guy couldn't tell me how long it would take to diagnose and fix so I took a chance and $50 Canadian dollars later...:) :) :). http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/buick,2008,lacrosse,3.8l+v6, 1440065,electrical- connector,abs+wheel+speed+sensor+connector,762

40

My car is doing the same thing my abs and stability track stays on it's a 2010 Buick Lacrosse

20

I have a 2010 Buick LaCrosse with abs and service stabilitrak lights on. When I asked dealer to check it out I was quoted $400. They also found a failed differential sensor module failure. That is $3400 to repair because they have to get in and check all the sensors.....??? Have to consult another mechanic but this wiring harness idea might be a good place to start

10

I change my speed sensor 3x already and I keep taking it back to the shop is this a recalled issue

I had the same problem w/my 2011 LaCrosse. Ended up replacing the gas pedal , a sensor in it was bad??? Still came on & took it bk to the dealer 4/5 times. Supposedly fixed a wire harness or something. Months later the same lights just came bk on again. Smh

10

2009 Lacrosse with these same issues. Changed left hub bearing assembly, same problem. Was told by service department that sometimes codes are masked behind other codes, so when 1 problem is corrected, another pops up. does this sound right???

375

The ABS system communicates with all 4 ABS wheel sensors. The ABS and Traction Control lights would come on as soon as you start the car if there is no communcation between the ABS module and any of the sensors at each wheel. My 2008 Buick Lacrosse would only come on occasionally. Sometimes I could feel a 'studder' in the left front end when I was pulling into a driveway on the left or a parking spot with no ABS/Traction control lights on but that is when they would come on. If your ABS/traction control lights do not come on unless the car is put in motion try this - unplug any one of the wiring harnesses at any one wheel. I suggest the left front. Start the car. Do the ABS/Traction control lights come on? They should. Basically you are simulating a open harness that would prevent the ABS module from reading anything back from the ABS sensor. Plug it back in and start the car to clear the ABS/Traction control lights. An intermittant problem is harder to diagnose than a hard failure. You could try removing the harness one at a time at each wheel and shorting the two wires in the harness together. I have never tried it and don't know if the ABS module would recognize this as a problem or has a complete circuit. If the lights do not come when you start your car (hard fault) you could try bouncing the car at each corner or moving the wiring harness (jiggle) around to see if that triggers the ABS/Traction control lights to come on. This is what worked for me and proved an intermittant open in the harness. Rememer there is a lot more flexing in the front end with bouncing and turning. The wiring harness is connected to the lower control arm and as much as it is clamped in several places over time something is gonna give.

40

Just had mine repaired. Apparently on the inside of the hub there is a small strip of what appears to be little magnets that comes in like 100+ little sections that appear to be glued on. Apparently a few of them fell off causing my ABS warning light to go on. Parts & Labor from my local mechanic $335.87 because the entire hub had to be replaced.

20

My left wiring harness replaced. Thanks to this site, (Dealer wanted to repair differential sensor as well . $3400! ) I told them to try wiring harness first and to reset the codes. Service guy said my rear end could lock up on me! But after codes reset both lights did go out. $400 fix. If hubby were still here it probably would have been user &100, but so thankful to have those lights out!!'

I have same issue and an issue with traction control if I do turn off T/C caar acts like its skipping or power loss kinda sputtering feel soon as I push T/C off it acts fine now abs and brake light and tc lights are on after I get car a few miles down road but are not on when I first crank car or just let sit idle and everything handles fine even after lights come on I have good breaks and car seems OK but all 3 lights come on so something gotta. Be wrong HELP please anyone have suggesting

I just realized the 3 lights only come on when I get above 65 or 70 mph I don't know what that has to do with it but I noticed on two lane road I never get above 55 and the lights don't come on until I'm on interstate hwy