I have a mechanic that says he can manually start my car up but when he tries to use the key ignition it won't start and he can't figure it out. It's a buick centruy 2002. Does anyone have any ideas?

Asked by Apr 29, 2015 at 11:56 AM about the 2002 Buick Century Limited

I was on the highway going about 60 and pressed the gas to go slightly faster and it just
died on me all my gauges went to the left and battery was dead.

115

Did you change the battery or have it charged? And have you or the mechanic checked your fuses? Your fuel pump might have also went out..when your fuel pump goes out, the car automatically dies.

He charged the battery over night and then checked all fuses, checked the lines to the battery terminal, the alternator, the solenoid, and says all is showing to be fine but it won't start. I have read though on some of those tests things like the ignition switch can test right but not be functioning properly. If the fuel pump is out would the car start manually? I'm assuming that's the case but just double checking.

115

I don't think it will..is this the first time it's done this? It may be either a lack of fuel or missing spark..when you try to start it does it turn and tutn or do nothing?

It had gas in it bc the mechanic can start it manually. However, when you try to use the key to start it, it doesn't start.

10

I think it's the computer not picking up the key. I had the same problem a few years ago and after I got a new key it done just fine

10

Another words it could be the key or the ignition relay

Dustin, would my car just kick turn off mid drive if it didn't register the key to the system?

10

Yeah if the relay went out. It wouldn't register the key even being in it. It's an anti theft system. Are any of your warning lights on

Yeah it does give the lights when the key is in the ignition and the radio and stuff clicks on but it won't start by key.

10

I think it's going into anti theft mood. The keys have a little chip in them that the computer in the truck reads to see if it's the right one. You can go buy the buck dealership and they can check the key for you

I have a spare key, I may try to run that by the mechanic and see what he thinks or just show up with the key and give it a go haha!

Would that give a error read out on the ecu when he tries it though? Cus he checked the ecu.

10

I don't really know on that one