2001 Buick Century 3.1 V6 will not crank.

60

Asked by Sep 10, 2014 at 05:57 PM about the 2001 Buick Century Custom

no power load to battery in start position. no clicking or cranking. It has a new battery with
new connectors. no corrosion on battery. Started fine 20 mins prior to it not starting at all.
Checked relays and fuses for ignition and cranking. all are fine. What can I do to diagnose
the problem further without a multimeter. I dont have any extra funds so I cant buy any
tools.

67,465

Check the wiring at the starter. Make sure all connections are clean and tight. Check your battery's negative (-) connection where it bolts to the chassis. Again, make sure everything is clean and tight. Is the whole car dead (no lights, horn, wipers, etc.) or it just won't crank? HTH. -Jim

60

All bells and whistles work. Lights are bright. No power draw when trying to start. I will have to jack up the car to check wires

67,465

Ok, once your sure all the connections are good, grab a hammer. No joke. Grab a hammer and whack the starter. If it starts, the starter is bad. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer
60

I bit the bullet and bought a jack to remove the starter. Had it tested at Napa. It was toast. It sounded like there were loose parts in it and the pinion and shaft had a lot of play. Got a new starter and car started fine. Thank you for your speedy responses.

67,465

You're welcome. Glad to help. Thank you for the best answer click. - Jim

50

OK, similar issue..... BUT, I get no voltage signal to the starter solenoid. I can do a power jumper in the engine compartment fuse box and spin the starter, all "ign" fuses are good, swapped relays, still no solenoid voltage "twisting the key". Ignition switch appears to be good. 2002 Buick Regal 3.8L SC.

Have same problem but starter is good. Power not getting to solenoid.. any help

5

Paul, your car sounds like it is in security mode. If your car has a chip on the key, there is a good chance that it is in security mode. Check out you tube, its not to hard of a job to fix, if your lucky. You can get around the security by wiring in some resistors from radio shack to your car, or maybe you just need to reset your car.