Check engine code P1870

425

Asked by Jun 19, 2009 at 04:25 AM about the 1998 Buick Century Custom

I have a 1998 Buick Century Custom with a 3.1 V6 engine With 115,000 miles. My Service Engine light came on & it has a code P1870 which from what I was told by aamco tech, indicates that while in 4th gear, and tcc engaged, the ecm has detected transmission slippage. when comparing the input shaft speed to the output shaft speed. and I have foamy bubbles in the fluid on the dip stick, which to me suggest that I have air mixing with the fluid , but the level is good, not even the slightest bit low or over full and the color is slightly red tint .
Is it me , or do I need to have big money ?

11,945

First the Basics - YOU have a new filter in this transmission correct - If not DO It . Now the "Hope it saves me " suggestions. :) Take both lines off the transmission cooler ( Two lines at the radiator ) and use a manual flushing gun and flush new transmission fluid through the cooler BOTH ways back and forth a few times ( You may go through a few quarts of fluid - Should be Dex III - filling the gun ) then thouroughly drain cooler. Top off with Dex III. - Next go to a Jiff Lube ( I hate to say this but I know you are not going to have the machine ) and tell them you want a transmission fluid exchange but to use DEXTRON VI - It is a synthetic replacement and can be use retroactively for your car. It will be a little pricey for that fluid. Let me know how you make out. The change over exhibits the improvements below if the transmission is still basically sound inside.

425

Thank you I shall give it a whirl, It can't be as pricey as a rebuild ( 2-3,00 bucks )also I do not believe the filter has ever been changed , not to my knowledge anyway I shall do it so I will know . And at the time I'll flush the cooler to while I'm at the fluid and filter . shall let you know how it goes . Thanx again !

10

I hope this link is still alive, 1997 buick lesabe same code. along with a few others. I cannot read the chart in the frist post can you re post it