what is the name of the parts that stabilize the left rear wheel on a 1996 Buick Century

45

Asked by Mar 18, 2016 at 09:10 PM about the 1996 Buick Century Sedan FWD

A piece the stabilizes the left rear wheel broke or broke away from the unibody?  and the remainder of the piece is at an unusual angle (I have photos). The left rear wheel wobbles when driving at 5 mph and there are interesting noises when one brakes.
What is the name of the part?
Can this be repaired?

45

View from a different angle: photo when i was laying down looking towards the rear of the car.

45

Another photo. Did I mention that the car has a lot of rust........ Car is from Pittsburgh PA

287,355

That cannot be repaired easily, too much rust. DO not drive the car as is. You would need to source that whole rear metal assembly from a salvage yard, cut out the good section (if you can find one) and weld in a new section. This would have to be done by a decent body shop. (most will not touch rust like this). The other side is probably close to failing too. The cost would be more than the cost of the car. Time to scrap the car IMO and pick up another.

45

Thank you, Tom, for going into detail of a possible solution. The underbody is very rusty. My resistance to having the car taken away to the junk yard is that various items were fixed in the last 1.5 years - air conditioning (compressor, condenser, evap, dryer), muffler, and an odd humming noise (turned out to be a large bearing in the front end) that had been going on for 2-3 years was fixed 2 weeks before the piece broke off of the unibody. The tires are still good. And the car was peppy for a 4 cyl (70 -80 on the highway). I know - everyone has heard this whining before or been in this situation themself (if they are used-car people). Best Regards, Christine

5

Not an answer, but it almost seems you took pictures of my 1996 Buick ... exact same thing. I have found a yard with 2 Buicks of this vintage and I was already planning to go the route Tom proposed. (This is basically like hip surgery on a person and it is pretty involved, but the car just works so well it is hard to toss it in the trash.)