low beam headlights not working on 1995 Buick Century only had beans work when I hold the turn signal lever back

30

Asked by Nov 19, 2013 at 04:14 PM about the 1995 Buick Century Custom

170

I have a 1995 Buick Skylark with the same exact problem I think. If I turn the headlight switch on the parking lights work but no headlights. But the passing beams, (pulling the blinker lever toward steering wheel), still operate. However it is pretty difficult to drive having to hold the passing beams lever the whole time. The headlights did this about a year and two months ago, they stopped working for about three weeks then just out of the blue started working again. However they have always had an issue with the high beams not coming on when pulling the lever back, the headlights don't operate at all but then when you pull the switch to go back to low beam they would come back on. I'm totally baffled by this and would totally apprectiate some helpful advice on what to do to fix the problem. I'm tempted to rewire the headlights with my own toggle switch but I don't know if I cut the wires for the headlights if all the lights on the vehicle are wired in a "series" I'll lose my parking, turn, tail, brake lights. Does anybody have any advice please

60

We are having the same problem with our 1995 Buick Century. Any updates on this issue being resolved??

170

I'm about positive it is the headlight switch that was bad, however the switch comes as the whole assembly that you have to take apart the column to replace. I resolved my issue by buying a bunch of wire, two toggle switches (be sure to buy ones that handle the wattage for the bulbs) and cut the original factory wires at the bulb (with a few inches to spare) and directly wired my headlights to the battery. There are three wires coming off the headlight bulb, one for high beam one for low beam and one is a negative ground. I just distinguished what wire was for what and wired it up. Its fairly easy to do, you just need a little common electronic knowledge, and presto, no more headlights cutting out. The cost of my repair was right around fifty dollars I believe but I also used a heavier gauge wire then I probably needed and higher wattage toggles. But compared to the 130 something they wanted for the headlight switch assembly and the hours it would have taken to take apart the column, I think I saved money and a big headache.

30

I replaced the dimmer switch. Costs about $14. Mounted on steering column behind dash. Had to drop steering column to get to it. Works fine now