car will die at stop signs but will restart if you put it into gear car will die after a min or 2 it will start and drive until next stop

Asked by Jun 07, 2013 at 06:43 PM about the 1993 Buick Century Custom Coupe

I had a buick that did the same thing. After the car warms up, it will idle fine in Park and neutral, but stall in drive or reverse unless you put your foot on the brake and hit the gas to keep the rpms up. It is your torque convertor in your transmission locking up at idle putting friction on the engine stalling it. I was the torque convertor solenoid that failed, in the worst case situations,you will be needing a transmission rebuild.

I agree with Tom on this one. If you have the transmission I think you have if you look at the side of the tranny facing the front of the car you will see a 4 wire plug in connector, carefully unplug the connection and move the wires away from anything that might damage it and drive like you normally do to see if that cures the problem, if it does then it is the converter solenoid. You then have a decision to make, fix it or drive it with it disconnected, driving it disconnected won't do any further damage the only thing you might notice is there will not be the lockup feel and your mileage might drop a little. I had a Chevy that I did this too and I drove it for a year back and forth to work then sold it to a guy that knew what I had done and he drove it for 2 more years before it got totaled in a wreck. Hope this helps.

I think one of your coil packs is cutting out when the engine gets hot.