How can I do a 10k OHM mod to my car?

Asked by Feb 21, 2015 at 02:49 AM about the 1990 Buick Century Limited Sedan FWD

I have a 1990 Buick century and I was
wondering how people do those IAC mods
to trick their car into pumping more fuel
and increase horsepower slightly

11,825

I have no idea what 10k ohm mod to increase power you are referring to? On some of the GM OBD1 ECM's you need a 10k ohm resistor to enable the ALDL datastream to read codes etc. but that does not apply to your car. The OBD1 electronic fuel injection system in your car is primitive compared to the newer systems but still effective. I would not try to "trick" it as you may cause damage to the system or your engine. Options: 1.) Get a live scan tool or an ALDL cable and software to monitor your engine and tune up your car. 2.) Your car has a chip in the ECM that can be replaced for more power. Depending on your engine there may be cheap generic chips that can be found to increase power. If there isn't or if you want more join a forum and find someone who tunes motors like yours. In most cases they can create and burn you a chip that will give you more power than the generic chips, they can modify a lot of parameters!! 3.) You can also dyno tune a OBD1 but it is very expensive. There are places where you can get the tools to do this your self and all the information is on the web. I think the best option for you is to join a forum and find a safe (bin) chip for your car from another member.

66,725

Screwing with mass air flow sensors by adding a resistor is asking for big trouble. You might get a few more HP or you might get a melted catalyst or a holed piston or something else bad. Don't do it.

1,765

Start by having your cylinder heads rebuilt, (valve job) & ported & polished by a good cylinder head shop. Add a hp cam & kit with valve springs, install performance valve guides, roller hydralic lifters, & all the above mod suggestions you choose.