Won't Restart after quick trips on hot afternoons

Asked by Aug 29, 2013 at 08:46 AM about the 2006 Chrysler Town & Country Touring

Our T&C won't start when the temps are over 93 degrees outside.  It normally happens
after quick trips (5-20 minutes) when the car is then restarted within 30 min.  It has
however happened when the car has sat for over 10 hours in 95 degree heat and was
attempted to be turned on.   There is no noise when the key turns over, every error light
on the dash is on as well as mileage etc. but all gauges are dead, the radio, power
doors & windows all work.  It gives the Error  "Service Tire System Soon" and will give
you the direction & miles till service but not the outside temp or the running hours.  
Then if we keep trying to start it about 15-30 min after the first failure it restarts and
runs normally.  The drive train module has been replaced as we have had it at the
dealership most of this month. It is under warranty still but they can't figure it out and
say we have pay for any repairs or replacement parts they use that turn out not to be
the culprit. We live in Florida where high temps are the norm with two small kids that
cant wait in their car seats for this thing to decides to start and we can't afford a new
one right now. Any help is greatly appreciated.

92,835

That doesn't sound right you having to pay if it is under a warranty, I would find some place else to take it. In my shop I didn't make the customer pay for something that turned out not to be the problem, that was our fault for not diagnosing it right the first time.

92,835

Forgot to mention that I suspect the body control module, or the connector and grounds.

Best Answer
7,565

its the pcm that is still under warranty......8yr or 80,000 miles, what ever comes first. if im correct. That is why they want to charge for other parts I would unplug the crank position sensor and see what happens. It seems as tho something is shorting out the vehc. network. aka the buss. The dealer has the best scanner. they can see what modules are active when problem happens. Its called a J1850 scan. If there are no active modules, they unplug each one, one at a time, untill network comes back up. that will be the bad module. But it sounds like it is something under the hood as the heat from eng. effects it so quickly. has dash ever been removed? ever been in accident? just thinking abt. any loose grounds. they will screw with a vehical hard. hope this helps........