Why will the radiator fan on my not turn off when vant is shut off.

Asked by Feb 08, 2015 at 11:52 AM about the 2006 Chrysler Town & Country Base

The radiator fan came on 20 minutes after I drove it, it was 10 degrees outside, I did not drive hard, and the temp gauge was normal, it has good coolant levels, I had to disconnect the battery to get it off.

4,725

it sounds like your solid state fan relay either has found a ground other than the PCM or its internally shorted...I have copied the operation from the factory manual ...will find the wiring schematic and post that as well 7 - Cooling/Engine/RELAY, Radiator Fan/Operation GAS ENGINES The solid state radiator fan relay is controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) by way of a Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) signal. The relay control circuit supplies a 12 volt signal to the PCM. The PCM then pulses the ground circuit to achieve fan on time. The relay provides a voltage to the fan motors which is proportional to the pulse width it receives from the PCM. The duty cycle ranges from 30% for low speed operation, then ramps-up to 100% for high speed operation. This fan control system provides infinitely variable fan speeds, allowing for improved fan noise, A/C performance, better engine cooling, and additional vehicle power. To control operation of the relay, the PCM looks at inputs from: Engine coolant temperature A/C pressure transducer Ambient temperature from the body controller Vehicle speed Transmission oil temperature The PCM uses these inputs to determine when the fan should operate and at what speed. For further information on fan operation, (Refer to 07 - Cooling/Engine/FAN, Cooling - Operation) .

4,725

wiring diagram....and the fan relay is on the front bumper support in front of the radiator and the rivet will have to be drilled out....and will have to be riveted back on or sheet metal screwed in ....it uses this to keep it cool through the heat sink