2005 T&C: P0740 & P0700 codes pulling, whining noise in power steering and van overheating even though fluids are full. What the hell is going on?

55

Asked by Nov 27, 2013 at 10:45 AM about the 2005 Chrysler Town & Country LX

Ok, so I have a 2005 Chrysler Town & Country LX 3.3L with 157k miles on it.  It has run like a champ and never given me any problems.  A couple days ago, the check engine light came on, so I took it down to AutoZone and used their scanner.  It pulled two codes: P0740 & P0700.  Both of those were transmission codes; but the transmission has been shifting just fine.  My dad has a shop a few hours away, so I was planning on taking it over there this weekend.  Then this morning, after driving for only a few miles it began overheating and I am getting a loud whining noise when I turn the steering wheel at idle or low speeds.  I checked my fluids for the radiator and power steering and both were fine.  Do ya'll have any ideas?

237,915

OK, seems you have 3 seperate issues, but maybe they are related. Lets try this first. Check your coolant and transmission fluid. Are they the correct color, I'm asking because they could have mixed, as the trans cooler runs through the radiator. The trans fluid should be a dark red, if coolant got in it will be pink. Post back with what you found out. The noise when turning could be your power steering pump is going out.

55

On the dipstick it looked dark but once I wiped it off it looked a lot lighter. I'd say it's a bit lighter than what comes out of the bottle.