Chrysler Town and Country - gauges and headlights flickering like crazy

Asked by Aug 24, 2016 at 04:16 PM about the 2005 Chrysler Town & Country Base

Hi! I replaced the alternator on my daughter's 2005 Town and Country. I jumped the vehicle since the battery was dead. Everything was fine while hooked up to the jump cables. However, when I removed the cables and test drove it, the gauges go wildly up and down, interior and exterior lights all flicker like crazy. I know that I hooked everything back up correctly. The battery is new so no corrosion issues and I made sure everything there was tightened up well. My first thought is it's a grounding issue or a loose wire somewhere that's nipping in and out. Any ideas?

26,075

is the motor uninfected/does it run smooth/no miss? i would recheck the boby/engine/frame grounds...again.... and remove the pos battery cable the trurn the starter key to run for a few seconds to unload any power/voltage in the system...repace cables...then report back.

Yes, motor runs fine just the lights and gauges freaking out. I'll try your advice and see what happens there. Thanks!

OK... I haven't had time to check any grounds but did remove the pos cable and attempted to start for a few seconds. Jumped the car again, getting the same reaction. Fine when drawing off the other car's battery but as soon as the cables are taken away it begins to have the same behavior. I just let the car idle for a bit and it began to run a little rough, gauges and such jittering that much more. I assume the battery was draining back to dregs. Turned it off, attempted to restart and did nothing though instruments still had a bit of power to them.