i have a 1993 surburban, that no one can fix. please help !!!!!!!!

25

Asked by Jan 01, 2008 at 09:11 PM about the 1993 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4WD

Approx. 6 mos. ago my truck began shutting off at stop lights and such, it would start again only to repeat this action each time the rpm drops below 1.  the problem has progessively gotten worse, to the point that to drive you must keep you foot on the gas and brake petal at the same time to keep the RPM above one. After visits with two different mechanics who found nothing wrong I chose to replace the fuel filter and fuel pump hoping that this would solve my problem. Having no success I than sought out the dealership after three months of my truck living at the dealership I had a new computer and throttle body yet the problem remains, and now after all of this the transmission will not change out of first, this is where i need help, What should i try next? Does anyone know if there is some type of fuse, switch or regulatoer governing the RPM, if so where is it located? Also any ideas besides replacing the transmission would be greatly appreciated. All advice pertaining to other aspects the problem would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thanks,
         Terrie

7,045

take it to a garage and ask they to dissconect the "lock up", it is a feature that is in your torque converter to help get a few MPG more. You might notice a drop of 1-2 MPG. that will fix your stalling issue, as for not being able to get it out of first, you might of "baked" th evalve gear by "two-footing" it when you stop, you might need a rebuild. which isn't as bad as it sounds, you have a 700R4 in your truck. I live in Ontario, Canada and to rebuild my 700R4 cost me just under 1000 bucks. If the body is good on the truck it might be worth it. I personally love these trucks. The two I had i got over 350 000 KMS on each. Hope this helps. Good luck

415

have you tried a code reader that does realtime diagnostics?chances are that your pcv valve won't trip a sensor.also the oxygen sensor can work well enough to fool ecu but a new one will be 10%more accurate right off the bat.also it does sound like the bands of your tranny are locked or burnt together.rebuilding is fine but JEGS has those new for under $1400