My town & country 2004 wont start sometimes

TownCountryguy
45

Asked by May 03, 2013 at 03:31 PM about the 2004 Chrysler Town & Country Base

My van start doing something really weird.  it will not start at all a friend check trhe battery(was good) check the fueses..and nothing next morning just for the heck of i try to start it and it work great for a 3 day then did the same thing it will not start. so i just wait till next morning and it started again so i took it to the dealers they could not duplicate the problem but they did want to change the battery and starter..but they were able to start the car every time. so i just took the van with me and it work for a week and now it is doing it again it will not start sometimes.  what do i do???

did checking the battery as "good" involve a dead-short for three seconds, the count how long till recharge, cause this is the true measure of the battery's health, also known to stop accepting a charge 10% per year, so if the knock off labels indicating date are more than seven years old still may have a healthy 12.5 volts, but still a load test would make you replace this battery~ as a 2004 vehicle is probably the case...might be still hangin' in there 9 years later, but will not stand a load test and needs to be replaced...one effect of having a "thirsty" battery such as this one that can no longer accept a charge is making the alternator work just as hard as it can to charge it up...but it's not charging up...make sure the black wire comin' off the battery goes to chassis ground and has a "clean spot" to be bolted to~

get an Interstate battery, they are a little more, but the right stuff~ can't afford it..NAPA....will give you five or fifteen bucks "core" charge for your oldie...give it up already...it's wastin' enough of your time bein' dead~....I'm handcuffed to my dead grandpa and bring him with me everywhere I go~

TownCountryguy
45

I have already change the battery 1 1/2 yr ago and the guy that check it clean the connections.

the connection to the starter, the connection to the motor block too?

Sounds like the battery does not have the 12.5 volts that it should....would check it anyways~

TownCountryguy
45

try to jumpstart it and nothing next morning start like nothing happen..

TownCountryguy
45

I will check with him and see what volts he got..

84,755

If you tried jump starting with no luck, it's not the battery. Either something is not allowing the signal from the ignition switch to the starter or the starter is hanging up. Next time it happens, hook a meter to the small wire on the starter. If it has voltage when the key is turned to start, the starter is bad. You should hook the wire up in advance so you don't get all dirty when you're late for work.

TownCountryguy
45

I will try that, tonight.. I really appreciate your help.

24,145

You probably have a module issue being a chrysler. Being something easy is gonne be slim here. The dealer is gonna be your best bet, they will have access to any tsb's and recall info lord knows there are plenty of them both.

Kolin English
35

I've had a problem with mine not wanting to start, turned out it was the fuel injector in the tank. Try lightly giving it gas when you start it up and see if that helps.

Thammy Aldelan
20

I have the same exact problem with mine. Its making me crazy. Sometimes I try and start fine, another times it just do "click", click...thousand times till I just end exhausting the battery charge and need a jump. The battery is fine, and she does that "click" even when I do a jump. However, I just noticed that this always happens when the night has been very cold, of course, it just happens also when I'm going to start the car for the first time after some hours off, which means when the car is hot, never do that, and when the weather is warm.

TownCountryguy
45

Well after changing the battery and it seems that it help now it started doing the same thing it will not start it will not make any noise nothing.. BUT I will till the steering Wheel all the way UP and the car start just fine.. then i pull it down when i try to start it again Nothing.. so i have to do this every time, then I started the car and pull down the steering wheel down almost all the way down and now starting every time. I figured is a connection on the key switch loose cable or something..

rmaestro88
10

It's simply the gear shifter cable in your steering column and transmission linkage. The grommets are worn out so the car isn't really in park and it's the reason when you turn the key and it just clicks. After a several tries it'll finally catch and start because its out of alignment. Either change the bushings at the ends of the cable or change the whole cable and that should fix your problem. Causes a major problem but an easy fix.