timing chain cover removal

Asked by Jul 04, 2012 at 12:50 PM about the 2002 Chrysler Town & Country EX

I have removed all bolts and moved a/c compressor and alternator, how do you get the timing chain
cover off?

241,535

Remove the timing chain cover as follows: Negative battery cable, Right wheel and splash shield ,Oil pan and pick up tube Drive belt ,A/C compressor and set aside with the lines still attached ,Crankshaft damper, Lower radiator hose, Camshaft Position (CMP), if necessary , Heater hose from the timing cover or water pump inlet tub if equipped with an engine oil cooler, Right side engine mount , Idler pulley from the bracket , Engine mount bracket , Water pump, Power steering support strut-to-cover bolt , Timing chain cover bolts and the cover. Then you can start on the timing chain. Make sure you have all the instructions to do it properly and have it aligned and timing marks in the proper place.

40

Having just successfully removed my timing chain cover from my 2005 3.8 V6 thinking I had a worn oil pump; let me tell you. It was a grand test of all my hand tools and my creativity to actually remove the timing chain cover and still be able to re use it! I did have assistance from some s/w, an on demand manual of sorts, but it did not really help too much since it lists the procedure from the installation point of view and not removal. I did find that my oil pump is a tad worn, so replaced it. Ordered a new timing chain even though I maybe do not need it; 135K on the vehicle. But the price of a new chain is much more affordable than a new engine. Tom pretty much covered everything I did, though I had a bugger of a time trying to remove the water pump with the cover in place, same with top engine mount on the passenger side as it has interference fitting bolts. I have had a couple of deer strikes with the van, maybe this is part of why I could not slide the horizontal engine mount bolts out and had to wiggle them free as the timing cover came free. I had to pry the power steering pump out of the timing cover cradle, it did not want to easily lift out. The AC pump did cooperate and drop down into a safe position as I removed the bolts. Being as I had issues changing the spark plugs, and someone convinced me to remove the intake and plenum, I pulled the back valve cover and can easily change the 1,3,and 5 plug. Something all should consider doing if they ever have the engine torn down that much. I am tempted to replace the O2 sensor since it is in plain sight at the moment being as the engine is currently sitting with the pushrods exposed as I was checking for collapsed lifters. When last ran, the engine was making a horrible pounding sound, so I pulled off both valve covers, looked at the tops of the lifters, removed the oil pan. Still have not found any metal chunks, so not sure what the banging noise is all about. So just replacing half the external items that I can get to while I have the timing cover off. Costs a little bit and about 15 hours into removal... Great use of my tools and all since laid off.

10

i am trying to find out where are the dots pos to be set on a 97 chrysler town& country timing chain?

160

how long does it take to remove and timing chain cover off a 2000 3.3 town and country