Keeps overheating!!!!!

120

Asked by Aug 29, 2013 at 02:34 PM about the 2000 Chrysler Town & Country Limited

Ive replaced just about everything in the cooling system and our van is still overheating. ie thermostat, radiator, radiator fan assembly, radiator fan control switch, water pump, and coolant temp sensor.
Radiator and ac fans are still not coming on.

okay barring normal operation of the cooling system have you had a new battery installed, 'cause five years is all you can expect from modern tin/antimony alloy [no lead] batteries....look at the knock-off labels on top of the battery to be sure...but the important item is the Black cable and NOT the clamping end....the LUG end which bolts to the chassis/ground....Coarse Wirebrush the LUG and spot where grounding is established...bolt together...CPU's are sensitive about varying voltages and varying amperages and with the corrosion that builds up a start at a time because this connection actually "welds itself" leaving burned residue from both metals (the lug material) and the chassis material creates a layer of "iffy connection"....that you cannot see, but can be wirebrushed clean for another trouble free 1000 starts~

this renewed grounding to the ECU/CPU will make the fans come on again~

228,965

Did you check the fan relay?

120

the battery is only a year old. I'll try that with the wire brush to make a better connection. have changed the fan relay...

7,235

do the fans come on with a/c on?

7,235

I take it you replaced the relay that is under driver side headlamp?

120

No the fans don't come on with the a/c on. They don't come on at all. And yes I replaced the relay under the headlamp housing. Which was a pain.

7,235

here is the diagram for fans

7,235

the g102 ground has to be clean and tight

7,235

make sure fans are plugged in. pull 40 amp fuse in fuse box under hood and make sure you have voltage at one of the pins. if all of this is good, you will have to go back to the relay underhead lamp. Ck for power and ground. If you look real close at relay connector, there should be 1234 on it, so you know what the pin location is. If all cks out ok, The problem will either be wire from pcm or the pcm. The a/c sends out a request to pcm to turn on fan. so beings it never comes on, it has to be between pcm or wire if all else is ok. hope this helps...........

Best Answer
120

Thanks for the info. I decided it must be electrical bc the conventional cooling system is working, (turning the heat on to bring it off the high, idle at 2000 rpm for short periods brought it down to normal) just need the fans to keep everything regulated. Diagrams give me a great start to checking things out. Would an ohm meter work best for checking those points? And is it best to check when vehicle is cool or at normal runnin temp?

7,235

well to inspect. wiring at fan, better off cold. There it no real reason to heat up the eng. You could use a test light to ck powers and grounds. if you find power at fuse and ground wire tight. unplug relay and hook test light leed to neg. side of batt. and ck for power at relay. then hook leed to pos. side of batt. and ck for ground. if you hvepower and ground then its wire to pcm or pcm. you really dont need ohm meter.

7,235

im thinking there is a connector at lower side of cooling fans. make sure it is plugged in.

7,235

e40 rf3 connector in wiring diagram

a 12 volt tester with little glowey light is nice too...one handed use~

7,235

if you hook a jumper wire from batt pos. to pin 3 of the relay. fans should come on.

7,235

pos. = battery positive

7,235

oh...thanks for best answer.....

7,235

if pcm is bad. you could wire in a relay to the asd circuit. fans would come on when vehc. starts and would stay on till you turn it off. Im just sayin....

120

Okay, I finally got back to it thanks to weather and working all weekend on 3rd. So I checked the coolant temp sensor and it indicated its sending a signal. The pin at the 40amp fuse also indicated good. The 4 pin plug going into the relay, indicated grounding, but when I checked from the pos side of the battery, it indicated power and only one of the fan wires would indicate. It was the one closest to the ground pin that failed. Am I wrong in thinking its getting a signal from the PCM but not getting it to the fans do to the connection wiring? And the check engine light has come back on which went away when I replaced the relay switch.

7,235

ok, the wire next to the ground wire is the pcm control wire. this relay is duty cycle controlled. this means the it can speed and slow the fan a longer on and off time. the dash lights in your van are the same. by giving them more on timethan off time they are brighter. by giving more off time than on time, they are dimmer. they cycle so many times per second. but its the lenght on the on time than speeds them up. Hope that made sense to ya. one of the wires goes to the fan. hook batt. voltage to it and see if fans come on. if it does, it looks like a pcm issue. like I had state before. You can hook a relay in to asd circuit and make fans come on when eng. starts. you will need to ohm out fan control circuit wire between pcm and relay at headlamp. I need to get back to work now, but I will log back on tonite to tell you what pin at pcm to ck.

7,235

pin 73 c2 connector at PCM. light green wire with dark blue tracer. I will let ya know which on is c2

7,235

The C2 connector @ the pcm is gray. the C1 is black. So knowing this, you need to find the #73 pin. If you look closely at the connector you should see numbers at the ends of the rows of wires. examle...26 at one end and 42 at other. You just start counting the holes. when you find pin 73, unhook relay at headlamp area. Then hook the test light to positive on battery. Then you will need a skinney needle or even a staple, to insert in cavity #73. You need to be careful as to not jam needle in. So you dont damage pin. Hook a wire to the pcm control pin at relay. this wire needs to go to neg. side of battery. touch probe of test light to needle. should light up. if it doesnt wire has an open. if it lights up pcm is bad. Now before all is condemed, Have you hooked batt. power to fan supply wire at relay to see if they come on?

7,235

on previous post here you said when you unplugged relay.....ck eng light came on? when you plugged it back in it went off?

7,235

if you unhook relay and put power to pin3 the green wire, the fans should come on.

120

Fans come on when putting power to pin 3. It's definitely a PCM issue which as I've found out is a Chrysler issue in these models and years. Looking to bypass the PCM and just connect into the asd circuit to have them come on and stay in when vehicle is on.

7,235

you really should use a relay to control fans. large load to add to asd circuit.

15

Hi thejeepdoctor,i need yr assistance on the same issue on my Chrysler minivan yr2000,3.3L on more or less the same issue. Both my fans are'nt functioning when d AC was ON. It started wit d AC fan did'nt move first and later the radiator stop moving as well. After reading few articles,I found out that d Radiator relay cud be the caused. So ,I bought one from RockAuto. Wit d battery nagative terminal removed,I replaced with d new one. But once I connect the negative terminal,both fans runs instantly even w/out starting the engine. So,I took the negative terminal out to stop the fan. I then put back the old relay n repeat the whole thing again,both fan did'nt move. I'm LOST,what cud be the problem,pls assist me,tqvm.

340

Chrysler and GM v6 is from 97 to 2003 have a horrible problem when air gets into the cooling system it's almost impossible to get out without a special vacuum system however there is a bleeder valve on top of a thermostat housing you can try and get it out because if you don't the problem will never ever go away

340

air in the system bleeder valve on top of yours thermostat

340

if you haven't noticed yet most of the overheating complaints are from people with Chryslers in the early 2000 and Pontiac in the early 2000 s coincidence? I think not

I have a 2005 Chrysler town and country and last year it was hit head on while it was parked. It was the right side. Insurance covered it but soon after we got it back my headlights flicker all the time my dash lights have been flickering right along with them and my radio will kick off and turn back on while I'm driving. All my tacks on the dash are trippin out like going up and down super fast. I couldn't even tell how fast I was going. I've heard its the ecm or pcm then I heard it was a ground wire. When my fan kicks on it when it goes crazy the most. Plz help me out I have young children and I don't want to cause a accident if something stops working especially my lights.

Once you change the relay out then you will want to erase engine codes and the fans should come on. We have been using this forum all day to figure out how to get fans to work. As soon as we erased the codes and fans started.

80

i had to bypass fan relay with a toggle switch over heat problem fixed

I have the EXACT same problem in my 2006 Chyrsler Town and Country the ONLY difference in mine is that sometimes only randomly in the morning when i wake up and come outside to my vehicle I find radiator flued coming from underneath my van.. But as the original issue in this vehicle I have also changed EVERYTHING in the cooling system... I am a 23 year old female and i dont know l much about this Can you guy's please HELP ME Do you think it's the same issue and if so EXACTLY how can i fix that

have the EXACT same problem in my 2006 Chyrsler Town and Country the ONLY difference in mine is that sometimes only randomly in the morning when i wake up and come outside to my vehicle I find radiator flued coming from underneath my van.. But as the original issue in this vehicle I have also changed EVERYTHING in the cooling system... I am a 23 year old female and i dont know l much about this Can you guy's please HELP ME Do you think it's the same issue and if so EXACTLY how can i fix that

@Karenlynn23. You might have a faulty water pump or air on your system. Most the time is air but if you have someone that could check any possible leakage on your system..

The smallest of radiator hose leak...don't forget to check for small leaks. I had a new radiator installed about a month ago and it took all this time to create a heat problem. I thought it may have been the thermostat because it wasn't changed at the time of radiator replacement and I thought it was sticking and heating up and causing the anti-freeze through the overflow. Not the case. I will tighten the hose up tomorrow...hopefully end of over heating problem.

I have a 2009 t&c. We have replaced the radiator, water pump, fan relay and ECT sensor. Have checked the negative terminal and the ground. Have refilled the freon. My car will be fine for a week and then begin to overheat. The AC will work and then it stops pumping cold air and will starts to get engine air. that is when the car starts to overheat. Fine on the highway and fine on the streets until it's not. It only overheats while driving around town under 30 mph. If I gun it the AC will get cold the temperature gauge will start to go down until I slow down and then the AC goes engine air again and starts to overheat again. What now?!?

My 2000 town and country ran hot cracked radiator and oil light comes on and off but Guage never ran hot replaced radiator but still run hot and oil light comes on more so when idling fans don't seem to be running either any help appreciated