Chrysler 2000 T&C, Can I buy a PCM, install it, and have a shop program it for me?

Asked by Jul 13, 2016 at 06:10 PM about the 2000 Chrysler Town & Country LXi

I followed a discussion btwn your expert and another DIYer --- I found I have a
bad PCM --- Don't have much money, so can I buy a new PCM, install it and
pay a shop to program it for me?

24,445

Yes, http://www.aa1car.com/library/2004/us10430.htm, but I would check with the shop first.

12,115

You can purchase a bench programmed PCM and leave the dealer out of the picture, all very simple.

Best Answer

Thank u guys --- This is an amazing website --- Before I pull the PCM, I have one more question --- When I turn a/c on, where (PCM pin number?) is the request made to turn on fans? In other words, how does "a/c-on" instruct PCM to turn fans on? So far, I have replaced fan relay and wire C2-73 to fan relay-2" is there.

Where is a good place to buy bench programmed PCM --- What info will they need? In the posts I was following it was suggested that a relay could be wired-in that would turn fans on when the van was started --- how do I do that?

12,115

Did you begin with a P0420 code? Step1. Checked the fan Motors for rotation by energizing with 12volts (scan tool or power probe) confirm they are functional. Step 2. Check the cooling fan relay unplug connector check the orange wire for 12 volts If yes jumper it to the blue wire next to it...IF fans operate suspect the relay as BAD Step 3. PCM Contols the relay by pulse grounding the circuit the violate wire and gray wire in the cooling fan relay connector. The PCM Pin number 26 K2 20TN/BK Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor Signal. Look up a 2000 wiring diagram. THE WIRE COLORS CAN BE DIFFERENT..CHECK ONLINE.

Check this out guys!!! When I disconnect the coolant temperature sensor and with the engine running BOTH FANS TURN ON full blast (with or without a/c being turned on) --- WHAT'S GOING ON? Elsewhere I remember reading that the guys fan stopped working after he had the alternator replaced -- - I this possible? I ask this because I also replaced the alternator before fans stopped running. So far I have replaced fan relay, pcm and checked control wire between pcm and fan relay and I checked ground wires to chassis --Is there a fuse or fuse link to sensor? Any thoughts???