Van stalled out & oil lamp (idiot light) showed up...

10

Asked by Feb 16, 2015 at 06:24 PM about the 2000 Chrysler Town & Country LX

I checked all fluid levels & all was fine. The vehicle (2000 T&C) drove fine & calmly stalled out near a stop sign & then light came on. Fluids fine & after about 5 minutes, the vehicle started up (little hesitation) (it was snowing and 20* out) & got me back home without any idiot light on and no stalling out. I traveled about 8 miles from stall point back home. Any ideas?

65,975

That's normal for the oil light to come on if the engine is not running but the ignition is on. As was the case when it stalled. When the engine stops so does the oil pump. Therefore you have no oil pressure and the light comes on. When the engine starts again and the oil pump starts pumping you have oil pressure so the light goes off. If it just stalled the one time and has been fine since I wouldn't worry about it. If it becomes a problem it could be the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve or throttle plates are dirty. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer
10

Thank you, Jim. That eases my mind immensely. I have an appt. tomorrow with a mechanic that I respect very much just to be on the safe side. I live out in the country and our country roads are very narrow. I don't want to get stranded, especially on the extremely dark roads at night. Thank you, again.

65,975

You're welcome. Glad to help. Thank you for the best answer click. -Jim