How to correct power lock making locking sound when the car is turned off.

20

Asked by Feb 08, 2014 at 12:44 PM about the 1999 Chrysler Town & Country Limited

1999 Chrysler Town and Country Limited. The power locks "act" like they are locking
over and over again throughout the day even though the car is turned off and the doors
are already locked. Fortunately, they don't actually unlock when this is happening. Had
the actuator replaced a while back in the driver's door to correct remote entry issue,
water pump and a new battery. I don't know if something happened to some brain in the
car or not with all the work that has been done on the car.

67,445

Could be a problem with the key fob. At work we have a Chevy HHR with electronic back doors. The left one would randomly pop open. The problem was traced to the key fob being shorted. Try taking the battery out of your key fob. If the problem goes away, you need a new key fob. HTH. -Jim

20

Thanks, Jim. I think you meant to submit this answer on a different person's question? I can be at work with the keys in my office and co- workers will say they walked by my van and the car locks were clicking. I would think if there were a short in the fob, the fob would have to be near the vehicle to trigger a reaction.

67,445

You're welcome. Yes, that's true. If it were the fob it would have to be within like 50 feet of the vehicle. -Jim

7,675

Make sure the contacts are clean that go from the sliding doors to the body. Have you noticed that if you lock the doors before you close the sliding door, that they lock again? Im wondering if that circuit is telling the BCM that you just closed the door again. Thus relocking the doors. I believe you can see the contacts when the sliding doors are open. Cleat then with some sand paper or steel wool. Make sure that they have the ability to spring back into place. I believe one side or the other is spring loaded. I'm also thinking there is a switch in tailgate that does the same thing. If you hear latches locking, push on doors one at a time to see it they quit. If so, you have at least found the area of the problem. Hope this helps.......

20

Thank you! I will look at that. I haven't noticed what you asked me. I didn't think to mention, by the way, that the black hard plastic thingys that the two side sliding doors mate to when closed, got brittle and broke off some time back. The doors close okay, and stay closed, but maybe that is contributing to the problem. I can't seem to figure out what the parts are.They are stationary and screwed to the inside of the door's front edge. I did inspect the contacts and they appear clean, however, one of them is a little loose and has some play in it. The other one is tightly attached to the door frame. There is only one screw holding the contact in position. The opposite end has a thin metal protrusion that slides up under the part above it. Humm...

My 99 t&c van lock are doing the same thing. I've noticed that when it does it and until it's done trying to lock the doors all my Gage's stop working momentarly. Not sure if this is a clue but it sure seems like one.

My 1996 Honda Accord, which only uses a key for entry. Does the same and has been doing it for years. It mainly does it when the doors are locked with no one inside. Does it almost every day. Once, I left the motor running while trying to scrape ice off my windshield, and the car locked me out. I never can leave the car without my key.