Power windows stopped working. Changed 30amp fuse and it still doesn't work.

Asked by bebet Mar 08, 2015 at 01:24 PM about the 2006 Chrysler Sebring Touring Sedan FWD

The lights on the window switches are also not lit.

2,950

Could be a master window switch issue, or a wiring harness issue leading up to the switches. If the new fuse is blown then you have a short somewhere along the lines.

170

Old post but people find this stuff all the time when they have the same problem, like I did. If it's the switch it's easy. Just buy a switch, disassemble the door (see youtube) and try the switch. In my case that didn't fix it so I ended up having to get a wiring diagram (searched google images.It's same as 2004) and trace the circuit. Turned out the tan colored wire (+12 to the master window switch) was broken inside the rubber boot between the door and body. Spliced it and all was OK. Don't really see why just one wire out of about 20 would break but that's what happened,

2,950

It's easy to explain, really. That line is the ONLY wire feeding all four switches, hence it'll be the first to burn out under heavier than normal load. Having 2 feed lines share and carry the load together, so even if one burns out, it'll still work, then eventually burn out. They should have run a much heavier gauge wire for that feed, but a heavier wire costs more, harder to bend or flex as the door opens and closes, and would thus probably burn out faster. Two feeds would have been the best bet. The same happens if a ground wire goes bad due to being overloaded. This is also why the battery ground wire is so thick and sometimes they even run two wires to the chassis. Poor wiring systems in most cars are done like this to ensure they only last a specific time period and then require service.

10

Thanks for the information, it was very very helpful because I try like many other people I was looking on y tube for my exact problem and again like others I had replace the switch in till I find this post on google and y all hit right on the money. Once I looked between the door inside the rubber tis protects the wires, found three of them cut in halve. When I bought this car for a what a be car dealership found the alternator was the wrong one over amped the battery causing things to short out hell the mechanic couldn't even figure it out. So thank you all again the information was very helpful

Is there a fuse in the fuse box u had to exchange or just cause the wires between the door and the body frame were kinked it looks like mines were splice but I didn't find no burnt fuse inside the car cause there are two fuse boxes