I have a 2006 Sebring Convertable 2.7 engine. Can the transmission get antifreeze in it? Recently needed a new torque converter. How does antifreeze get into transmission.

Asked by Dec 14, 2013 at 12:03 PM about the 2006 Chrysler Sebring Touring Convertible

Torque Converter was slipping, especially when pulling car up hill.  Tranny man took it
apart and discovered antifreeze fluid in it.  How does that happen.  This guy knows his
stuff, great reputation, but he can't imagine how that happened.  Any ideas.  I don't
want it to happen again if something caused this.

Any good mechanic would know why the antifreeze is in there. Are you sure he "knows his stuff"? If your car is an automatic, the transmission cooler lines attach to the front radiator of the car. It is integral to the radiator and sometimes this passage leaks. So antifreeze can migrate into the trans and vise verse. Replace the radiator. Refill with the correct coolant. Have your transmission fluid flushed till it comes out all red and not pink. Replace the trans filter as well, and refill. Then add coolant to the cooling system and bleed. Now since the transmission clutch packs have been exposed to water/antifreeze, the life of transmission is now shortened. Some trans experts will tell you it's time for a rebuild. It was slipping due to the antifreeze in there.

Thanks for your input. This is odd. First he said I was going to need a new radiator and probably rebuild the transmission. The transmission has already been rebuilt once before at about 70000 miles. Then he called back and said there was no way the fluid would have come from the radiator. I've had work done with him before and never had any problems. Like I said, always had a good reputation and I've always trusted him. So, if he puts a new converter on should I head to a radiator guy next? I grew up on a farm and know a little about cars but I know NOTHING about transmissions. Now I don't know which way to turn

I had the same problem. Changed the radiator, Problem solved. Better get a new Trans. guy.

Wow... this guy has been in business a long time and has done great work on other transmissions that needed rebuilt. Now that the work is done (got a call today but haven't picked it up yet) what's your opinion of getting a new radiator? I could drive it straight over to the radiator shop. The tranny guy said he put a new torque converter on but it didn't need a radiator. Now I'm conflicted. What would you suggest to insure a long transmission life? How can I tell if the radiator was the real problem now that it's all put back together. (by the way it IS an automatic). Thanks a bunch for your support.

Sorry but one more thing on my transmission. The mechanic told me that this particular engine and transmission has a separate oil cooler. So, as he said, there's no way for cross contamination. He said the radiator and the transmission oil cooler, which is at the bottom and in front of the radiator do not share anything. They're mutually exclusive. Does this make sense to you?

I had a problem myself with a Sebring convertable, 2.7 l, V6 engine. And still have! No, the transmission fluid heat exchanger is the top part of the AC condensor, not on radiator. No contamination there! Changed it myself because it leaked the red transmission fluid). Second, the water pump (if leaks) is expensive to change ($1,300; driven by timing chain). Too complicated to do myself!

To the people who think they know this transmission guy is an idiot...well, seems HE isn't the idiot. As the last guy mentioned the oil coolers are the top half of the AC condenser and there is no way for antifreeze to get into the tranny. So, how about before you people insult people and tell them they don't know what they're talking about, you find out what you're talking about first. Thanks.