My steering has begun squeaking while turning at slow speed, what is up?

3,655

Asked by Jan 14, 2012 at 10:51 AM about the 2006 Chrysler Sebring Touring Convertible

While making slow turns, or the steering is making a rubber against metal sound or squeak. If stopped and the wheel is turned left to right and back, or driving over gentle bumps it makes this noise. It can be felt through the steering wheel also. No noise at speed, and it is not the pump or belts. It is getting worse. Any thoughts?

450

1 off your front spring is broken in the spring cup below, replace both springs+ rubber pads below springs. Its a easy fix if you got the right tool. Hope this is useful :) Regards from Iceland.

965

This noise could also be caused by bad bearings and races or ball joints as well.

3,655

Thanks! I only have just over 22k miles so was hoping for simple fix. My old 2000 JXi needed nothing repaired in the 8 years I had it, except brakes. My garage said they couldn't hear the noise, but it is growing noisier and makes the rubbing noise whenever the wheel is turned or jiggled, especially audible at a stop. Back to the shop. Thanks for the help.

10

Oh man! I have a 99 and its making the same sounds from the passenger front. It started after I drove through a huge puddle of water exiting I94 : ( I don't know what to do. It's a loud squeak when I'm turning my wheels at a stop or very slow speed. And when I hit some bumps in those Michigan streets... It sounds like it's rattling. /:(