something's up with pt cruiser

Asked by Feb 23, 2014 at 11:11 PM about the 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited

Hi first time user and car owner here! So I just bought a 2006 2.4 l non turbo pt cruiser. I
think its a four cylinder , it has like 118000 thousand miles on it.
Anyway I got it real cheap and the lady I bought it from pretty much just drove didn't keep
up with maintence to much just the regular oil change .
Anyway it is running like it has lost a Lotta power sorta like I have to hit the gas pedal
harder to get it going, plus it shifts gears very crappy,  and its auto of course.
I'm gonna change the oil tmw myself because its def due one. Anyway any insight on
what might cause it to drive like crap let me know. And also I work full time m-f and I just
don't have the time to take it to several place to find out the problem or listen tovten
different ppl tell me 50 different things. I honestly think its a misfire like it needs new
plugs and wires, because I pray to god its not the transmission its self. Anyway thank you
for reading and please reply asap!!!!

Well, the first thing I'd do is a tune up since you're just over 100,000 miles. I'd also recommend new air filter, fuel filter, and PCV valve (if equipped). If your check engine light is on have the computer scanned and post the trouble codes. Advance and Autozone auto parts stores will scan the computer for free. Since the previous owner wasn't real good at preventative maintenance I'd do that first. HTH. -Jim

Thanks Jim. Getting a computer check was the first thing on my mind for tmw. I read transmissions in pt cruisers go out on the regular...scary.

You're welcome. Glad to help. -Jim

Jacob Kent

I would sell it immediately or cruisers are junk cars never met anyone who liked them. That's probably why you got it do cheap. Sorry but its the truth.

Well that's cool I like hearing different opinions about cars, I love my car I think all I need is a good tune up because right after I got the oil change and it was six thousand over from the last oil change. But yeah after the oil change there was a big difference. And besides if you treat you're ride like you would want to be treated if you were a car it could last a long time. All about how you take care of it. Thanks for the replies those people. After I get the tune up tmw, BTW gotta question. Like I said previously I am not a car guru... But do you think 100$ is a good price for a tune up and that's with me buying my own plugs and wires and also a gasket for the top of the valve covers which I am about to look up the prices for this stuff, again thanks

Yes, $100.00 for labor is a good price. HTH. -Jim

Chu Rodriguez

Due Timming Belt won't hurt....New Spark plugs w/cables ,By the way I Love mines...enjoy! 2006 Touring Fire Red....4 years ago....and yes they have some issues,but overhaul love the Trend style.

Have 05 turbo. First u can do a self test. Ignition sw on and off 3times never engage the starter, then hold the trip mileage indicator in and turn the ignition sw on- again do not engage the starter. Watch the odometer it will read out the mil codes in the freeze frame. Write them down. This before you spend any money. You now have info to discuss with mechanic to get a rough estimate of the correction job Nd it's cost. A local tune up shop that's been in business for 5 or more years if you have no better connections. Mostcommunities require business to have a business license- check with the local license dept after he tells you how long he has bee in business-or she for he.

You might have to spend money but you will feel a lot better if you have some idea of what is going ! after the self test take it to a parts house that will scan it for you, get a written report. All this to share with a mechanic. He will know up front that you will check out his work,

To the person who said they are crappy, I used to own an '04 GT with the HO Turbo, I loved it and did a lot of work on it, if you want to check it out, look at my profile. The only reason I sold it was, I fell in love with the Crossfire coupe and roadster. I owned one of each model. Not Chrysler manufacture but Mercedes in The Karman Factory in Germany. All SLK parts and an absolutely marvelous piece of styling and machinery.

Jacob Kent

To the person who obviously is in love with a horse. It doesn't matter if you loved it or not anyone can love anything it does not mean they are any less crappy it just means you loved a crappy car. I am sure you did do a lot of work on it how else would you keep it running.

Feliz Nadir

I have always loved the look of the pt cruiser as it was my fathers favorite car. After he passed I finally bought one and within 2 weeks major issues. 2006 2.4 L 111,000 mi. first it was the crankshaft sensor. No biggie fixed it myself. Soon after the timing belt broke and that is when the big bucks came in. You need not only replace the belt, but the water pump as well. I was quoted at just under $1,000 for the repairs. I bought parts online for cheaper than the store and found a mechanic to do it for $400. Now Im not one with this kind of money to spend. After 3mos I finally got the car back only to have it pop the engine light on and not shift out of first gear the very next morning. weird thing is,later in the day I drove it again and it was back to normal, I was told the engine was still tight from the belt and the engine was just retraining itself. So hopefully this time it will last. we shall see

I just purchased a 2006 4-cyl PT Cruiser July 2015, I have taken the car back 5 times(not exaggerating at all for the check engine light coming on. The first two time the engine light wouldnt come on at all for the mechanic, and he said there were no codes showing, the 3rd time it was a Camshaft Sensor Connector( I maybe saying it wrong). Now the battery light and the engine light is on and they still cant seem to figure out what the hell is going on. I fell in love with the looks also, and all and all it drives pretty well, I just didnt want to keep looking at Christmas lights flashing when I drive.UGH