my car overheated yesterday..and i had already filled the coolant resivior drove car 2 miles after allowing car to cool down and it over heated again...coolant resivior totally empty..where can i find the hoses that lead to resivior to see which one may be broken. you have to excuse me...im a woman whose car illiterate. theres soo many hoses under the hood dont know which is which.

Asked by Mar 29, 2013 at 09:22 AM about the 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited

Get a pressure tester on there and PUMP UP!....but don't go beyond 17 psi...you can borrow one from your local shop or buy one, they aren't too expensive, and you'll always have it to check your or anyone elses cooling systems~

and as far as being car illiterate, don't brag about it as an excuse for puttin' the blinders on. You can learn...you've never stopped learning~ will explain stuff to you in a way that you might be able to more easily understand, see these cooling loops go through the hot engine and through the cooler radiator, well sadly this is a system prone to failures, as goin' hot and cold all in the same sentence knocks out any sensible engineering...rates of expansion and contraction. Unfortunately steel and rubber expand and contract at different rates so right off the bat whenever you've got a connection such as at the waterpump or radiator there WILL be leakage...built in- it's just the best we can do in 2013. Whatever is causing this leak is NOT YOUR fault! but crappy engineering. Granted belts and hoses are probably a maintenance item, and you've been naughty and thought "it still works fine, no need at this time", but this attitude will backfire on ya, and thusly is the way we stand at this moment~

thank you...the pressure tester....when i looked it up online it wanted to know what kind of.pressure tester, i.e. oil, tire etc. which one am i looking for as there are 4 choices?

I hope the Judge does not mind me answering for him..coolant system pressure tester..It goes on the radiator in place of the cap and pumps like a bicycle tire pump..he may be "away" for a minute

depends on the size of the cap you'll have to take off...cold. back in 93-96 (my mechanic duty) time there were two sizes, the big one and the little one (toyota), now Volvos and Saab had adapters we had to use and there was a small to even smaller size that was just comin' about. Grab a tape measure and while the engine is cold find the twisty cap you put the coolant in. measure the diameter (straight across) and order the correct cap adapter/pressure tester for your car. Your friendly auto parts counter probably will give you a hard time, but you can always walk away from them, and will help you eventually~

Damn DavidH25 I do not "bogart" people that I'm tryin' to assist, and frankly need all the help I can get, you my friend are almost sickeningly book smart, whereas I on the other hand read a book once...mostly technical manuals as do not being lied to or led down the garden path. Technicals are just the facts, jack! please, you know I'll be knockin' on your email box if I'm puzzled, and usually am puzzled~

You have the smaller cap....unless you have the bigger one. How's that for a definitive answer? DavidH25, do you know is this the GM "harrison" sized cap? Do they still use the "old" ones anymore in 2006?

original equipment..$14

super duper//$35

But it's not GM..PT cruiser

ooo thanks, but they might still use "harrison" just as my American made Toyota has a harrison as well-

I read the price wrong.. not $35....$16

Ok gotcha...now I remember what your are talkin' about