2006 PT Cruizer, 42K miles, Battery Indicator comes on randomly more and more.

Asked by Feb 19, 2016 at 07:35 PM about the 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Base

Car located in SoCal dry location, everything in good condition.    Put volt
meter on Interior Cig Lighter...   When car not running all acc. & lights off,   
12.7 volts.  When car running, 14.2 V avg.  Full load also 14.2 v.   When
driving, monitoring voltage, when batt light comes on, voltage still 14.2 v.  
Obviously Alternator/regulator still working.   What other sensing goes on in
ACM that would cause Battery lamp to light and alarm bell to ding?  All
cables are good, all grounds were checked, new battery, clean posts.

73,655

I always say 14.5 DCV at the battery, but 14.2 volts is still charging. What makes the light come on is the voltage regulator. Maybe its starting to break down...Are there any other lights for the charging system, other than the battery light. When the battery light comes on usually indicates low voltage in the battery. So is the battery light the same as the alternator light, in other words, is there only one light?

Hello, thank your for your reply. I think there is only the one indicator. I will check the manual closely. That being said, I'm guessing that the alternator/regulator is/are basically OK. I do not see any deviation in the voltage when the red battery indicator lights, even under full load so it must be some other random issue. I am going to directly connect with a heavy copper wire/terminals to the the two primary grounds...The battery to Chassis ground on the Driver's Side and the Engine ground to the Chassis on the opposite side. I have no faith that Chrysler cares about about "BMP's" as they relate to grounding systems on fabricated, spot welded, than coated chassis sub assemblies. I am hoping the light will come on again to prove me wrong. I will know within a day or two and I will give a follow-up. I am also going to try to find out exactly what the ACM actually monitors. It may also be checking something other than the alternator. The error codes that relate to the Alternator/Charging system are: 1684 The battery has been disconnected within the last 50 starts. 1682 Charging system doesn't seem to be working well. Check alternator, etc. 1594 Voltage too high in charging system. 1492 Ambient or battery temperature sensor voltage wrong 1493 Ambient or battery temperature sensor voltage wrong 622 Generator field control problem I will also be monitoring the ACM bus with a code reader to see what pops up when the red light comes on. Any other possible troubleshooting ideas would be appreciated because this is happening to many other owners and the repair shops are getting rich fixing things that are not bad.

10

2gusto did it work I'm having the same problem with my 2007