Extended Warranty for 2006 CS Turbo

Asked by Jun 23, 2011 at 01:23 PM about the 2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S AWD

I just purchased this vehicle with 41K miles on it. I've had it inspected by an
independent mechanic and it's in great shape. It is not CPO and is no longer under
the manufacturer's warranty. The dealer is offering an extended warranty
underwritten by UnitedAutoCare. My mechanic reviewed the policy and thought the
coverage (with the "preferred hi-tech coverage" package) was fairly comprehensive.
The cost is around $4,500 for 4 years. Does anybody have any advice to offer?
Thanks in advance!

355

I wouldn't bother with the extended warranty. I own a 2005 cayenne turbo with 46k miles on it and the only big cost you need to worry about for the next 30k miles is probably the brakes. Have you had the brakes looked at? They tend to last only 15k miles. They are not cheap but I think you can get them done for less than $4,500. I'd find a good local porsche mechanic (non-dealer mechanic) and save the money and get the repairs done yourself.

Thanks for the advice. The dealer put in new brakes and I have an independent shop.

1,635

Don't bother, those warranties are usually a scam. If it was free, I wouldn't take it. The terms and conditions are usually extremely restrictive and exclude many things. I actually read my contract cover to cover when I had one on a 8 year old Audi, which subsequently had a gearbox failure. The warranty company tried everything possible to wriggle out of paying, even though I had followed the many ridiculous requirements like very small servicing interval (service every 3 months or 3,000 miles) and when I finally threatened to sue if they didn't pay, they would only agee to pay for a used part and $100 for a mechanics time to remove, repair and refit the gearbox. The mechanic quoted a full day of labour at $80 per hour. It was a complete waste of time and money, I should have negotiated for more money off the car and no warranty.

10

I wouldn't get a extended warranty or any Porsche products, cars are bad investment. I'm going threw a problem now with my 2006 Cayenne Porsche S, it was a recall on my coolant pikes that caused one of my values to bust which means I need a whole engine put in. The Bucks County Thompson Porsche Dealership is telling me for a old engine it will run me between $6500 to $10,000 and for a new engine $23,000 dollars, I no there getting over on me because I'm a woman and no way in the world I'm paying for a engine that was caused by a recall part to my vehicle, I thought Porsche was a good brand I had to learn the hard way that is not, now I'm filing for a law suit, because the dealership don't want to pay for the work, there not even trying to put me into another vehicle unless I have a substantial amount of money to give the dealership.