Burning through oil due to turbocharger?

115

Asked by Jan 23, 2012 at 12:23 AM about the 2007 MINI Cooper S

Had the MINI almost 2 months and the oil light comes on, when checked the oil is low. After filling it back to the proper level runs
fine but a couple weeks later same issue comes up again. I heard this is because of the turbo but sounds unlikely. Any solutions
to stop or slow the oil burn down?

85

turbo does burn some oil. Check for obvious oil leaks. Also check around the crank seal. If oil is leaking from there it will burn off before dripping to the ground

115

No obvious leaks so far, but will definitely check around the crank seal for any leaks. Will that produce any other symptoms that might give it away?

45

Prince engines (those used in 2nd-gen MINIs) have a technical service bulletin out for a leaky turbo oil line. If your MINI is still within warranty, go to the dealer and complain of oil loss, and bring the TSB sheet in. They'll repair it, gratis.

115

When I bought the MINI it was out of warranty. It seems to keep doing this, I have to take it in to fix the aux water pump and will ask the techs about that.

3,335

ANY EXTERNAL OIL LEAK WILL MAKE A GREASY MESS EVENTUALLY ... cHECK the pcv hose and pcv valve .. as this creates an internal vacuum to the crank case thereby greatly reducing the likely hood of leaky seals or gaskets . SOOO we look to Mister turbo 's compressor side oil seal , This seal will operate under manifold vacuum until there is boost pressure present . and a leaky compressor seal will evenly divide consumed oil between all cylinders... so it may not ever smoke or knock period

3,335

check spark plugs for deposits (ENGINE COLD TO REMOVE PLUGS ) white , gray ,black flakey looking shit is what remains after carbon atom has left the chamber

80

These cars are nothing but junk... Poor assembled,poor crappie service,nobody can give a straight answer about the ton of problems they are loaded with...and at day's end, we have to check oil every thousand miles, if I were riding a horse I wouldn't be doing that, I had all these problems, from oil to chains to trunk not opening, to brake pads that have to be changed before I blink, to rattling sounds from dash board, roof and no one at the effin dealers have a clue... Never again...never

25

Mini Cooper of Long Beach said..."BMW says that loosing a liter of oil every 750 miles, is normal" Because of high" amount of pressure under valve cover, pushes oil down intake"..........Meaning they have no idea why.

30

Wow! So I'm not the only one. Crevier Mini told me that burning a quart of oil in 1000 miles was "normal" for my 2009 s!! We have owned a Porsche, Mercedes, GMC, Prius, And a Ford and not one mechanic has told me such crap! It is not normal! I brought the mini in after 3000 miles for an oil change and mini said that I didn't need to do that. Just wait for any indicator lights. So now the lights say "do not drive critical engine oil low"! Regardless of the engineering, while the loaner vehicle runs smoother and I was thinking of getting another (since my Denali has 177,777 miles and still going strong), why would I now do that? Have two minis that burn oil or have to check it all the time??? So disappointed and feel taken by a manufacturer who has not addressed the design problem.

40

Enter mental facility before buying a mini cooper, then run away feel freedom and buy a Toyota and never see a mechanic

80

Couldn't agree more. Had a Toyota for 12 years before this piece of junk that I have, and until I sold it at 197000 miles, I couldn't tell where the oil gauge was... Never imagined I would be under the hood adding oil every couple of weeks... Any potential Buyer beware

I have 2012 Countryman..... She has been great. YES, oil will burn (no smell, or noise) I have a turbo & its natural process. Check spark plugs (condensation) or PVC hose - agreed. Great on gas, lots of room, gas REALLY inexpensive, great ride .... funny, all the above narcissism were true, why so many on the road! Every vehicle has a setback... I dont care what you drive. I'm a 5 car/turck new owner over the years. This used one has been best choice. My huz's Benz is far bigger headache! Happy trails.

10

I too have a 2009 S and have been told the same story. Requiring oil every 1000 miles is acceptable. Nonsense....As soon as the oil starts getting low, the car makes such a rattling noise, I can be heard block away. We have had all makes of cars and, although I love the mini, I would never buy another.. Service stinks, and they are so condescending with their attitude. I'm going American next time...

10

Man where do I start. I bought mine used with 57000 miles on it. From Rohrich Toyota here in Pittsburgh. Wow they really saw me coming.. I bought the car and thats my fault but this car has been in the shop almost 11 times for different reasons all within 1 year. I was driving around with no oil in the car when I bought it. Had to replace timing chain tensioner. Soon after the radio went dead. Had that replaced. Clutch had to be replaced after I drove it 11000 miles. Had some kind of axle leak that had to be replaced 2 times. Oil consumption test is pending right now. I have to drive the car for a thousand miles then take it back to mini. I have a freaking payment on this car and I am seriously considering driving it through Toyota window. I realize it is not there car but they sold me this piece of shit. I also have trouble even reading the damn dipstick so I have no clue if I am low on oil and how much. One time I thought I put to much in. I love driving a mini cooper but owning one is a different story.

20

I also bought a used mini s turbo..it had 75k miles on it just had an oil change 3 weeks ago. Only drove 1k miles size oil change and oil light is coming on and off in spurts. Got in car this morning and I hear a rattling noise sounded very strange,so decided to check oil low and behold NO OIL WAS DRY other than around the edges and when opened oil cap a little smoke was coming out. Hopefully when I put more oil in it the noise will be gone.IDK...THIS IS CRAZY ALL OIL GONE AFTER DRIVING 1k miles. No Leaks.IM PISSED THIS IS BULLCRAP.ANY SUGGESTIONS? ?other than ridding it.ughhhh

10

People buy MINI because they are fun and indeed they are. Looking for reliability in Toyota, but they are like appliance, when was last time you fell in love with your dishwasher? If you love the car, then you can tolerate their faults. :)

The problems started when those Germans got their hands on a British Icon. This is not a British car, it is Germany's vengeance upon us all. Hateful little car!!!!

we have had one for just a very short time and I wished I had never seen it I have worked in the same Grage for 35 years and have worked on just about everything made but this is a piece of crap parts are so overpriced it should be against the Law I would not trade a Ford Pinto with 300'000 miles on it for one piece of JUNK..