owners of an EVO

15

Asked by Nov 27, 2008 at 10:15 PM about the 2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR

To anyone who owns or has owned an EVO: Have you had to take it into the shop a lot to have the engine worked on? Have you had any major repair problems? What are the downsides to this car?

675

No. I have an Evo and have 4 close friend with Evos, and we have found them to be rock solid reliable cars. Even when pushed with aftermarket performance parts. One of my friends evo's had cams/exhaust/tune at 5000miles and about 290awhp. He tracks his car and pushes it hard and at 65k miles nothing has gone wrong besides standard maintenance items. My evo has a built stroker motor and with nearly 38k miles on it I have had no major issues either. Pushing about 400awhp I am still using stock clutch even! (Never launched or slipped though) The key to Evo longevity is regular and religious maintenance, and do not abuse it. If you plan to do 8000rpm drop clutch launches at every stop light like an idiot you will break stuff. Take care of your Evo and it won't break. The donwsides of the evo? Insurance costs are quite high for a car of its price range. That is about it. Other than that, it is a very good vehicle. You won't find any other vehicle for sale that can carry 5 people in a pinch, with a trunkful of luggage, push 500-900hp to the wheels if you want, get 30mpg on the freeway, work in any inclement weather rain/snow/dry, on any type of road regardless of poor surface quality, turn up at a drag strip and run 11's or 10's or faster, then go to the racetrack and chase down and crush a Porsche 911 turbo.

25

This is all pretty much correct. If you treat the car for what it is (a downgraded race-car) and care for it accordingly, and rarely abuse the car, it will be great. The maintenance I find isn't too bad. Tire rotation and oil change every 3,000 miles. Routine maintenance- getting stuff fixed as soon as possible, and not letting problems get too big are keys. A note on the aftermarket parts- Make sure they are installed and/or setup correctly! (Also, it would be wise to tune anytime you do anything drastic to the car to get optimum performance)