Rough idle/bad battery?

10

Asked by Mar 04, 2015 at 11:05 PM about the 2007 Mitsubishi Galant ES

Odd issue with my '07 Mitsubishi Galant ES. After I left work for the day, I found my keyless entry wouldn't work. When I opened the car door, there was no dome light and nothing would turn on when I put the ignition in the On position (my battery's a little over two years old). After I got a jump, the car ran fine and I was able to drive home.

Once I got back home, I turned the car off and it wouldn't turn back on. I cleaned the terminals to the battery with Coca-Cola (didn't disconnect the battery terminals). After a few minutes for that to settle in, the car started and was able to restart when attempted. I drove the car around the block and found that, when I turn the heater on, the car's RPMs drop quite low. Back home, I turned the engine off and back on after a few minutes. The car's idle is a bit rough for a brief moment then settles back around 1k. Turning the heater back on drops the RPMs down, but it then goes back up to around 1k again. There are no engine codes and no lights displaying on the dash. Suggestions?

10

I had considered the alternator, but thought the battery was suspect as our temperatures have been a bit cold for the last week or so. If I were to use a multimeter, would there be a way I could measure voltage, and what readings should I expect if the battery's bad vs. the alternator? Thank you very kindly for the swift response!

10

So, my bright arse realized I could check YouTube for a quick primer on multimeters and how to test batteries/alternators. So before I run for my multimeter, I thought it gave a good direction for me to pursue, so I'll will provide here in case anyone else experiences what I have. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_sFE_M16ps Thanks again!