93 Cavalier keeps blowing the HVAC fuse (25A) as soon as I turn the HVAC (Climate Control) fan on.

Asked by Nov 14, 2014 at 09:59 PM about the 1993 Chevrolet Cavalier RS Coupe

My son, who drives the car, complained that the defroster isn't working. I took a look at it
and sure enough, no air. Go with the easiest fix first is my motto, so I replaced the 25A
fuse, cranked the engine and turned the defroster on and heard a pop coming from the
fuse box area. Sure enough it blew the fuse. Tried another one, blew it too. Cannot figure
out what's going on.

Mark Grignon

There is a short in the circuit. Chances are its a bad blower motor, but I'm guessing. According to the wiring diagram, after the fuse, the circuit feeds the heater control assembly then goes to a resistor bank which controls your fan speed. Take the blower motor relay out and, try another fuse and see if it blows with the blower motor out of the circuit and no load. This will isolate the blower motor from the heater controls and resistor bank. This test would tell me that the everything in front of the blower motor is good.

Thanks for the quick response and thanks for the suggestion. I will give it a try and let you know the outcome.

By the way, is the blower motor relay located on the blower motor? I have an old Chiltons on the car....along with 3 other models from 82-94 so it doesn't go a whole lot into specifics of the Cavalier.

Mark Grignon

It looks like you can download a pdf version of your vehicle here if you create an account: http://www.helpowl.com/a/Chevrolet/2001-Cavalier/Manuals/1499

That seems to be the Owners Manual. I'm not sure how much detail it will go in to on the Engine components but I will take a look. Thanks Mark. You've been a great help.

Mark Grignon

I did some research and I read that the blower motor relay is mounted on or close to the firewall. You will see two relays. Standing in front of the car the left relay is the one for the blower motor. The one on the right is for the fuel pump.

Best Answer

Awesome. Thanks Mark.

Hey Mark. I followed your advise, looked under the hood and there appeared to be 3 relays on the left firewall. One was gray while the other two were black. I removed the gray one because when looking at Blower Motor Relays online they seemed to be gray in color. Anyway, I pulled the relay and the blower worked without blowing the 25 Amp fuse. My next question. Can my son drive the car and use the defroster to go to school, without the relay of course. The local parts store won't have one until tomorrow. Thanks.