Car over last 2 days has slowley lost its forward gears D,3,2,1, but reverse works fine, I have added 2 quarts of Transmission fluid in last 12 hours cause the fluid was low when I checked it!?????

20

Asked by Apr 30, 2016 at 08:07 AM about the 2007 Pontiac Grand Prix Base

My car was running just fine, then all
of a sudden I lost Drive then 3,2,1, It
felt Transmission related engine
power is still strong and reverse still
works fine. Checked fluid for Tranny
it was super low. I since added 2 full
quarts of the Dextron VI for the
transmission but there is no change,
I'm really stumped on what the
problem could be? I'm sure it's not
filter related or anything like that, it
was running just fine and it's not
heavely driven. Just recently went
over the 100,000 mile mark! Any
ideas?

20

Could it be a linkage problem of some type? Timing belt is pretty new only has about 10,000 miles on it. I'm not a certified mechanic or anything like that but I'm not a novous either! Just really puzzled and could use your help in pointing me in some direction with this problem. The car was running just fine, heard no bang or loud noise. Just a very slight slip then gradually I lost all forward gears. My reverse is still working fine though!

14,165

The transmission is leaking fluid. These transmissions are well for failures. Try running the vehicle shift through the gears...with foot ON brake then recheck how many quarts its low now. if level is OK transmissions worn out.

20

Waiting on a answer from you!

275,745

The killer of transmissions is heat and the fluid helps to cool the trans. Since it was 2 quarts low, it very well could have causes some problems. Where is it leaking from? I'd have it diagnosed at a local trans shop that is reputable, not a chain, and have them look at it.

20

There is no fluid leaking from The transmission, I added 2 quarts last night, when I backed the car up this morning there were no fluid spots. I feel It needs at least another quart to bring the fluid level up to satisfactory? Could it be something else possibly?

20

I will get back to you in 15 minutes! When running through gears and checking fluid levels should I keep it in park or neutral? What would give most accurate fluid reading?

275,745

To properly check the level. Car needs to be fully warmed up, engine on, in park, on a level surface. Pull dipstick, wipe and reinsert for a few seconds and remove and check if in the cross hatch. Fluid level at this point is not your problem.

20

The fluid is fine now but still no change! I have a buddy who is an excellent mechanic, looks as if he got himself a big job to do now! Cars suck dude! Thanks for the help!

60,985

If you had to add 2 qts. and this brought the fluid to the proper level you have to have a leak. Transmission fluid will not just evaporate. If you added 2 qts. to a cold transmission without the engine running then you have possibly way overfilled the transmission and that is a bad thing. Best of luck with it and please post here what the problem was when you find it.